Newb Questions for Restoring Boat and Trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyTwoOars

Reaction score
Hello all, total newb here on the forum and to restoring old aluminum boats & trailers. So long story short I have an old V-Hull boat and trailer, that have both been sitting in my yard for roughly 2 years now. My kids are getting a little older now and are starting to enjoy the water more. So I figure its about time to refinish the boat and trailer, and start getting some use out of them.

I received both the boat and trailer for free. I'd like to keep restoration costs down.

My plan essentially for both the boat & trailer are to:

(1) power wash & let dry
(2) sand off all the old paint down to the aluminum using a orbital sander and some medium grit sand paper (thinking 220 grit)
(3) prime with Rustoleum aluminum spray primer
(4) paint with Rustoleum

The transom on the boat is rotted and needs to be replaced. Since I want to keep costs down, I don't plan on buying marine grade plywood, plan on buying standard plywood and put several layers of sealant on it.

As for the trailer, I plan to replace the front assembly (winch, bow stop, etc.). Last time I used the trailer the electrical worked, so hopefully it still does. Tires will most likely also need to be replaced.

I have plenty of questions regarding the restoration, primarily:
- What am I missing in my plan? Any essential steps I've left out?
- Do you recommend the use of Rustoleum Aluminum primer and paint? If not, what should I use?
- For the transom, should I spring for the marine plywood or can I get away with standard plywood?
- Any good web-sites I should look at for good deals on ordering supplies, especially for the trailer?

Any and all feedback is welcomed and greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• BOAT_01.JPG
    BOAT_01.JPG
    881 KB · Views: 435
  • BOAT_02.JPG
    BOAT_02.JPG
    588.5 KB · Views: 435
  • BOAT_03.JPG
    BOAT_03.JPG
    980.1 KB · Views: 435
  • BOAT_04.JPG
    BOAT_04.JPG
    819.3 KB · Views: 435
Wheel bearing inspection and replace or re-grease, include new seals. Trailer bunks wood integrity and carpet condition next. Most my parts buying is fro R.V. and or trailer service places. A note could be made of trailer wiring harness length and fourway flat or six wire ect. for future reference with a possibility of going to l.e.d. lites when time comes.All connections clean and tight with particular attention to ground.
Harbor Freight for price comparison on the winch when shopping. I would paint last while temperature still acceptable for what ever you decide to go with. Just knock loose stuff off and use the boat a bit before committing . Liking it's performance will help with patience, or would with me. :LOL2:

For the little it costs to do so, go ahead and rewire the trailer now. Any electrical system that sits for any length of time is going to develop heavily oxidized connections and brittle insulation.

Did you get the title to your free boat? In some states if you don't have the title the boat is not legally yours. Don't spend money on someone else's boat.

Latest posts