Newbie Dilemma: Electric or Manual Downrigger? Need Your Expertise!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafizz

Reaction score
I've recently caught the fishing bug and decided to invest in a downrigger to up my game. So, I stumbled upon this new store called CKW Store, and they're offering some pretty sweet discounts on both electric and manual downriggers.

Now, I'm a bit anxious between going for the new CKW Store deal or sticking with a more established option that you folks might recommend. What are your thoughts? Any particular brands or models you've had good experiences with? I'd love to hear your suggestions and insights!

I can't help you with the CKW store. I notice their website filters don't work very well. I purchased my current down riggers back in 2018 on-line from Hodges Marine. Doing a quick check for Scotty 1060's and 1106's, I note they are less expensive than CKW. Didn't check shipping costs.

I have had both manual and electric down riggers. I currently use Scotty Electrics (1106's). On the boat before that I used Scotty manual down riggers (1060's). Way back, like in the late 70's, I had manual Penn down riggers.

I personally would not go back to manual. Electrics are just so much more convenient not to mention I'm 71 years old and my shoulders appreciate pushing a button over cranking a handle. It is easier to change out lures and if fishing alone, it is easy to get the DR cable up out of the way if needed while landing a fish -- just push a button. That isn't really practical with a manual set up.

On the other hand, while manual down riggers are less convenient they work just fine. The big benefit of manual DRs is, of course, a significant cost savings. Additionally there are no wiring, plugs, or fuses needed. And, you get some exercise! Lol.

I've had good luck with the Scotty brand and their customer service is terrific. I also would not hesitate to go with the Cannon brand.

DownRigger.png

I can't help you with the CKW store. I notice their website filters don't work very well. I purchased my current down riggers back in 2018 on-line from Hodges Marine. Doing a quick check for Scotty 1060's and 1106's, I note they are less expensive than CKW. Didn't check shipping costs.

I have had both manual and electric down riggers. I currently use Scotty Electrics (1106's). On the boat before that I used Scotty manual down riggers (1060's). Way back, like in the late 70's, I had manual Penn down riggers.

I personally would not go back to manual. Electrics are just so much more convenient not to mention I'm 71 years old and my shoulders appreciate pushing a button over cranking a handle. It is easier to change out lures and if fishing alone, it is easy to get the DR cable up out of the way if needed while landing a fish -- just push a button. That isn't really practical with a manual set up.

On the other hand, while manual down riggers are less convenient they work just fine. The big benefit of manual DRs is, of course, a significant cost savings. Additionally there are no wiring, plugs, or fuses needed. And, you get some exercise! Lol.

I've had good luck with the Scotty brand and their customer service is terrific. I also would not hesitate to go with the Cannon brand.

View attachment 118090
Thank you for sharing your experience with electric and manual downriggers. I just ordered the Scotty 1101 from the West Marine.

I currently use Scotty Electrics (1106's). On the boat before that I used Scotty manual down riggers (1060's). Way back, like in the late 70's, I had manual Penn down riggers.

We have almost the exact same progression right down to the models! Although technically mine are the 1116's- just different mounts.

In my opinion power riggers are one of those rare items that actually equate to putting more fish in the boat. Reason being that I will change presentations much more willingly. Anyone that has fished downriggers over 50 feet deep knows the heartbreak of tying a new lure, getting it all set up, removing the slack and popping the line off the release. It's a process setting your lines on downriggers. Power riggers makes it way easier. Also fishing solo, it's a gamechanger.

Any of the power riggers are great, but one thing nice about the Scottys are they are one of the fastest retrieve rates for the lowest amp draw. They also don't use power to drop the ball unlike the Cannons. Pro guides like the high end Cannons because you can dial in a depth and let it do it's thing, it will stop on it's own. The Scottys you need to drop the ball and stop it at the depth you want manually. Another good thing about the Scottys are they are really easy to service. Very simple construction and brake system. I carry almost every wearable part on board my boat and rebuilds can be done with simple tools.

20220501_081727-L.jpg

When I got my 14' Gregor w/15hp Yamaha 4-stroke it came with a Scotty 1099 Depthpower electric. I purchased the equivalent manual Scotty 1080 Strongarm for my passenger. I've been using that same Depthpower for over 13 years and have had no problems. What's key for me, when your driving the boat and trying to land a fish, turn the knob and your ball is out of harms way and ready for re-rigging after netting. I've recently replaced the manual with another 1099 to keep my fishing buddies happy.

@jethro & @gtodd -- do your guys replace the downriver cable every so often as routine maintenance? I've had to cut off a foot or so of frayed cable and replace the thimble and snaps. I have yet to replace the whole cable in the 5+ years I've had them.

@jethro & @gtodd -- do your guys replace the downriver cable every so often as routine maintenance? I've had to cut off a foot or so of frayed cable and replace the thimble and snaps. I have yet to replace the whole cable in the 5+ years I've had them.

I don't but I carry a spool of cable with me. And no longer will I leave a small fray for ANY amount of time. Last year that burned me bad when I saw a small fray but decided to keep fishing with it and change it after the day was done. Lost the ball, snubber, release and flasher not to mention the cable itself... $175 mistake. Any fray or kink means I'll replace the cable immediately.

To eliminate the hum I was getting from cable, I switched to braided on the one I use. I haven't used the new one enough to know if I will go that route. One thing though, you need to inspect braided for wear. I have empirical data to back that up: A few years ago, I was pre-fishing with a buddy the day before a kokanee tournament at Bucks. I was putting my 10 lb ball into the water and it just kept going to the bottom, unattached. Was pretty much screwed as I had no backup, none at the lake or in Quincy. Had to drive to 63 miles to Chester just to get a second rate ball from a hardware store. I now give the line good looking over anytime I'm getting boat ready for a trip.

I've been considering trying braid simply because the stainless is getting so expensive. Not like braid is cheap either but it's less than the 300' spools of stainless I have been buying. What test do you use? And is it easy to grab with your hands? And does it really eliminate all the hum or just reduce it?

To eliminate the hum I was getting from cable, I switched to braided on the one I use. I haven't used the new one enough to know if I will go that route. One thing though, you need to inspect braided for wear. I have empirical data to back that up: A few years ago, I was pre-fishing with a buddy the day before a kokanee tournament at Bucks. I was putting my 10 lb ball into the water and it just kept going to the bottom, unattached. Was pretty much screwed as I had no backup, none at the lake or in Quincy. Had to drive to 63 miles to Chester just to get a second rate ball from a hardware store. I now give the line good looking over anytime I'm getting boat ready for a trip.

I lost my balls this summer too. Think I was using 150 lb test braid. It hasn’t seen that much use lately but, it’s getting old.

My previous down rigger had the dreaded humming just about all the time. The new ones don't. Stainless cable on both.

The only differences I can think of is the current DRs have a longer boom, use a heavier (12#) weight, and I use Scotty weight retrievers with them. Maybe the retriever just touching the DR cable is enough to dampen the humming. IDK. I read somewhere a long time ago that putting a cork donut over the DR wire so that it is floating along at the surface against the wire will eliminate the hum. Maybe I'm getting the same effect from the retrievers. Who knows, but whatever caused the wires to stop singing, I ain't complaining.

If you can hear the wire singing the fish can most likely hear it as well.

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the longer boom and something to act as a dampener. I’m sure that someone smarter than me could apply the math and tell you the resonant frequency given the boom length, distance to water, etc.

My previous down rigger had the dreaded humming just about all the time. The new ones don't. Stainless cable on both.

The only differences I can think of is the current DRs have a longer boom, use a heavier (12#) weight, and I use Scotty weight retrievers with them. Maybe the retriever just touching the DR cable is enough to dampen the humming. IDK. I read somewhere a long time ago that putting a cork donut over the DR wire so that it is floating along at the surface against the wire will eliminate the hum. Maybe I'm getting the same effect from the retrievers. Who knows, but whatever caused the wires to stop singing, I ain't complaining.

I got the same exact setup except I'm using 10lb weights. I use Scotty retrievers and usually boomed fully and still get a whole bunch of wire noise. I'll have to try 12# weights and see if that stops it.

If you can hear the wire singing the fish can most likely hear it as well.

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the longer boom and something to act as a dampener. I’m sure that someone smarter than me could apply the math and tell you the resonant frequency given the boom length, distance to water, etc.

I want to find the frequency that drives them into a feeding frenzy! Haha.

I got the same exact setup except I'm using 10lb weights. I use Scotty retrievers and usually boomed fully and still get a whole bunch of wire noise. I'll have to try 12# weights and see if that stops it.

My booms are not extended the full 60". I don't know that would matter. Trying heavier weights might be worth a try. Also, maybe try putting a little tension on the retriever to see if that reduces the hum.

Another potential difference occurs to me. That being, due to my not paying attention when raising the weights, my soft stop bumpers are pushed hard down over the swivels on the snaps. Might be creating another dampening effect between the wire and the snap fitting. Who knows.

What test do you use? And is it easy to grab with your hands?
I use 150lb and grab the line with Scotty's weight snubber:snubber.jpg
My downrigger boom is 24" and it's easy to grab onto the snubber. If I had a longer boom, I would go with a weight retriever. No hum with mine. I'm not so worried about the age of the braided but the wear on the last five or so feet of line where it hangs on the boom and wear on the knot going through the guides. But now that I think about it, I should probably inspect the line between 35-50 feet where I do most of my fishing.

That happens to my stops also. Wish I could figure out a way to prevent that.

It happened to mine because I was clumsy and let the terminal end of the wire slam up against the pulley. Doing that a few time pushes them down over the snaps. At least that is my theory. They are stuck on pretty good. I guess I should probably work them loose.

BTW, I seldom use the retrievers. Instead I pivot the DR boom forward and the release is right there where I can easily reach it.