Newbie here! Check out my little craigslist find...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyg

Reaction score
Hey everyone! First post, because I am also pretty new to boating in general, googled around, and found out this forum was the best for "tinnys"?...

I recently purchased my first boat ever, and got a GREAT deal (I think), through a guy on craigslist. $200 for this 9.5' aluminum rowboat? dinghy? jon boat? Not sure exactly what it is, though it says "Viking" on the transom corners. He said he thinks it's from the 60s or 70s? No idea. What sold me, was its size. Its around 46" in width and I have a Ford F150 w/ a 6.5' short-bed. This thing fits perfectly back there between the wheel wells. Ahh...nice and portable. No need for dealing with a trailer or whatever.

Anyways, I am just looking to have a little fun with this thing. Obviously, completely stripping and repainting, replacing any rivets or screws, etc. It's all aluminum, and I have already float tested it, and NO leaks. Was just looking for a little toy to go fishing in a lake, or paddling down a creek. Been looking at the Minn Kota C2 motors, and thinking of a 30lb thrust? Maybe 40? Will do some research, and see what will be sufficient for me and a buddy, or me and my 100lb dog, James!

Glad I found this forum, and enjoy reading all the tips and tricks, and photos of your projects!
I will do as much research as I can, but ANY advice for the beginner would be appreciated!

Whatcha think?

Q5aoZTM.jpg

2dy2rMl.jpg

pGPCDpp.jpg

hay willyg, exclent find, if you get it registered you can use a trolling motor, I have a 10' 36" flat bottom sears 70 model

Woohoo! Just scored another great deal off CL. A Minn Kota Endura 40lb TM....for $40! The lady said she recently went through a nasty divorce, and is cleaning out her garage of all her ex's stuff...a fire sale, so to speak. Don't think she realized the value of it, nor cared. Just wanted it gone.

Don't have a marine battery just yet, but will do a quick test on my truck battery to see if everything is good. The thing is in mint condition.
My only concern is the 36" shaft length....wondering if it's too long. Oh well, I'll find out soon enough.

Oh yeah, he's ready! Ha. So, what exactly do you mean by shortening the top end?

I was pretty set on purchasing the Endura 30lb at walmart this weekend for $99. Has the 30" shaft. Figured that would suffice....til I saw today's listing. At that price...

Just look at the control head and see how it come apart. Then unhook the wires and cut the shaft of the TM to your desired length and then hook everything back together. You may have to shorten the wires going through the shaft to the motor. Good luck and your boat is a great find. BrazosDon

Nice find. It is a neat looking little boat. I like it. I have a 10' Sears Gamefisher Mod V. I just have to be a little selective where and when I put it in the water. I have found a lot of places I can get in the water, even when the wind is up.

Before you shorten the shaft, think about whither you want to keep it as a transom drive or turn the head and use it on the bow. I find a 36" shaft is better on my bow. That way I can sit in the center seat and use a Big Foot switch to keep the boat on a tree, brush pile or buoy. I had to add a small, fixed position, clamp-on rudder to the transom to keep the boat from crab walking with the trolling motor on the bow. I have a small outboard that I use on the transom some times and with it in the water, I do not need the rudder on the transom using the motor on the bow because the outboard acts as a rudder to keep the boat on course when using the trolling motor.

With a 30" shaft, my prop on the trolling motor would come up out of the water, even with small wave action. I don't know if you would have this problem because the bow on my mod-v tends to be higher than the rest of the boat.

Thanks! Can't wait to pick up all the supplies for paint stripping this weekend. As far as the new paint job...leaning towards a classic Cadillac de Ville scheme. Baby blue w/ a white trim. Make it look a little retro. Just wanna have fun with it.

Excited to post some pics in the near future of its progress.

Oh, and believe me...my dog will be on the maiden voyage!

Latest posts