no coolant water stream from 9.9 motor -help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancocasrich

Reaction score
I just finished an extensive overhaul of my 14' Lund - floor, carpet, electric etc. It looks great. I took it out on the water for the first time a few hours ago and after 5 minutes I noticed the water stream wasn't very strong. Shortly thereafter, there was no stream. I slowed down and got back to the dock and pulled the boat out. The last time on the water was in the fall last year and the motor ran great. I will check to see if anything is clogging the outtake and the intake. What is the best way to do that? Is there anything else that I can try? I really want to use the boat. hanks.

If you don't know when the last time the water pump impeller was replaced,it is time.Sure hope you didn't over heat your motor.If you have a tale tell stream & any time you don't see water coming out you should immediately shut motor down so you don't burn it up. [-X You posted a 9.9 so I will assume it is a Johnson or Evinrude which are easy to replace water pump impellers.

Could be one of three things: Clogger pee-hole or clogged intake, clogged thermostat or your impeller finally gave up.
All three are relatively easy to fix.

When I ran my '86 Johnson 9.9, I always carried a 1' section of aquarium air tubing, it fit right over the nipple on the pee hole & made it much easier to blow mud clogs out.

CarlF said:
Could be one of three things: Clogger pee-hole or clogged intake, clogged thermostat or your impeller finally gave up.
All three are relatively easy to fix.

When I ran my '86 Johnson 9.9, I always carried a 1' section of aquarium air tubing, it fit right over the nipple on the pee hole & made it much easier to blow mud clogs out.

I agree and I use those long thick pipe cleaners from craft stores to clean the weep hole.The ones in the school supply section.

If the pee hole is plugged then take your air hose with a blower on it and blow in the end of the pee hole. That will usually clear out any obstructions. But with the way y9ou described it I would venture to say your inpeller is shot.

dyeguy1212 said:
not to highjack, but what does tell tale mean? I see it in motor manuals all the time, but it rings absolutely no bell for me... :shock:

Just means that it's a very positive sign that,that is the issue.

Before you do anything else, Take the three screws up and the T=stat out and see if it "pee's".
The T'stat is the most likely cause.
Did you ever decide what brand and year motor you have?

If your motor has no water coming out,pull cowl,be careful of the flywheel,& put your hand on the back top part of your engine while running.If the water pump is pumping you should be able to keep your hand there without burning it.If its too hot to touch most likely your impeller is shot.Depending on year but the earlier Johnson & Evinrudes the thermostat is way down in the bottom of the motor which you have to pull the power head to get at.

The motor is a '91 or '92. I had the water pump serviced in '07 and it ran great in the fall. I used it for the first time on Thursday since November. I store the motor in an unheated shed. I am hoping the hole is clogged and will check it tomorrow.

If your motor was serviced in 07 that means your impeller is 2 years old.Even if you don't use your motor,which is worst than using it, the impeller is sitting in the housing with the vains bent.If I have a motor that I'm not using I always try to turn it over at least once a month so the impeller does not take a set in the veins.

Try the pee hole first. If after that it is still not peeing then pull the cowling and put your hand on the head and see if it is getting hot. If it is then I'd seriously consider getting a new impeller in again. The t-stats aren't too bad about going bad unless they have been in the salt. I'd still lean towarda the impeller.

Leaving a motor alone for two years the impeller can still be bad. The biggest problem is that they tend to dry our and become brittle and fall apart. I replace them all the time for customers. I usually run my motors once a month and replace the impeller at the beginning of the year every year...just to be safe.

I totally agree with huntinfool.I replace my impeller every year also.I have 2 other buddies that have the same motor as I do & we buy impellers in large quantities & get alot better price on them.
On old motors that I take apart I see impellers veins bent over & even after taking them out & leaving them on the bench for a period of time the veins are still bent over.That's why its good to turn your motor over every once in a while.

My neighbor stopped by with his air compressor and we put it on the water nipple. Whatever was causing the problem got dislodged and blew free. A steady stream of water came out and the problem may be solved. I go into the water again tomorrow and we'll see how things are. Hopefully I am OK and I can deal with the water pump etc this winter. Thanks for the info folks.

Latest posts