Old Bass Tracker still worth the $7700 I paid for it used

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senkosam

Reaction score
Like most used cars and boats over 8 yrs. old, you can never know what's wrong with the motors or its upkeep by the original owners. $1818.59 later for motor repair and more yet to get rid of some really old gas, still seems like a good deal considering the boat new.

I guess what fooled me into believing there was nothing wrong when checking it out was the condition of the chairs, deck, 55# thrust tm and Humminbird Helix 7 sonar that sell for $550 new. At first the boat ran good. A bit hard starting, but went on plane fine with the 40hp Merc. But after 3 times out, the motor would only run at half speed and starting was way more difficult.

Luckily I have a marine motor repair shop 15 minutes from the house and one of the partners went out on the boat with me to get a feel for what was happening. (Before that he came to the house to check out my 2.5 hp Merc. after I got ripped off by someone who didn't have a clue how to fix it and I had to travel 40 min. to get it.)

His suggestion was that I run out the old gross gas that most likely wasn't non-ethanol (the gas recommended for 4-stroke motors), that laid in the tank for who knows how long the boat was stored unused. Problem: the lake I go to is lower by 5' every 5 years for homeowner dock repair, making launching impossible. Plus, the Al docks at my club's lot were removed for winter a few weeks ago. So, my guy will get rid of the old gas when the boat is winterized.

Note: it took forever to get parts from Mercury and the boat sat for 3 weeks until it was fixed. No big deal since I couldn't launch it anyway and did fantastic with the 2.5hp on my 12' Jon, catching fish galore on the lowered lake! Plus there are 8 lakes locally less than 20 min. from the house where gas motors aren't allowed.

So nice and quiet not having to hear the noise of jet skis and pleasure boats that couldn't be launched due to the lower water level. Even then, kids are back to school and there is far less boat traffic during the week when the water level is normal.

Whenever buying used...first thing is to drain out old fuel, next is to replace the water pump, then change out lower unit lube, then replace all filters, spark plugs, do a compression check before purchase !! Appears someone did not do a thorough inspection and prep before running all that nadt old gas into the engine and clog it up.

Around here you could get two bass boats for that much and still have lunch money left over. Bass boats generally range from about $2800 to 4,000 unless they're pretty new. I have seen old ones though for a lot less, even free. Sure wish I had snagged that freebie last year. It didn't last long.

Like most used cars and boats over 8 yrs. old, you can never know what's wrong with the motors or its upkeep by the original owners. $1818.59 later for motor repair and more yet to get rid of some really old gas, still seems like a good deal considering the boat new.

I guess what fooled me into believing there was nothing wrong when checking it out was the condition of the chairs, deck, 55# thrust tm and Humminbird Helix 7 sonar that sell for $550 new. At first the boat ran good. A bit hard starting, but went on plane fine with the 40hp Merc. But after 3 times out, the motor would only run at half speed and starting was way more difficult.

Luckily I have a marine motor repair shop 15 minutes from the house and one of the partners went out on the boat with me to get a feel for what was happening. (Before that he came to the house to check out my 2.5 hp Merc. after I got ripped off by someone who didn't have a clue how to fix it and I had to travel 40 min. to get it.)

His suggestion was that I run out the old gross gas that most likely wasn't non-ethanol (the gas recommended for 4-stroke motors), that laid in the tank for who knows how long the boat was stored unused. Problem: the lake I go to is lower by 5' every 5 years for homeowner dock repair, making launching impossible. Plus, the Al docks at my club's lot were removed for winter a few weeks ago. So, my guy will get rid of the old gas when the boat is winterized.

Note: it took forever to get parts from Mercury and the boat sat for 3 weeks until it was fixed. No big deal since I couldn't launch it anyway and did fantastic with the 2.5hp on my 12' Jon, catching fish galore on the lowered lake! Plus there are 8 lakes locally less than 20 min. from the house where gas motors aren't allowed.

So nice and quiet not having to hear the noise of jet skis and pleasure boats that couldn't be launched due to the lower water level. Even then, kids are back to school and there is far less boat traffic during the week when the water level is normal.

The main thing is you feel you are getting value back. I feel the same way about my boat -- worth every penny.