Opinion on Polar Kraft boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonduke

Reaction score
Hi to everybody. Newbie here. Guys/girls I have a question regarding a jon boat. I am thinking of buying a new boat and unfortunately here in Europe the selection is rather piss poor. One of the brand a local dealer is selling is Polar Kraft. Since there are very few boats are here, it is impossible to get any info on them. Basically I am at the mercy of the dealer. Originally I wanted a G3 1548 VBW or a 1448 WSOF. However, stupid EU laws make it almost impossible or prohibitively expensive. To get the CE certificate (that might be a shady business trying to rip off people it would cost anywhere from 1550 bucks to 4000 euros. then add another 1500 dollars for shipping, and when you thought you are done the local government will hit you with 27% VAT) So a 2500 dollars boat becomes a 10K boat. Anyways, the local dealer can give me a much better price, so I will go with that if the boat is worthy. Anyways, the boat in question is either a J 1448 LW or an MV 1448 LW. It will be used strictly on rivers (Danube), where we have pretty significant ship traffic, both passenger and freight ships, which can make pretty significant waves. Nothing like sea going vessels, but could be pretty big. Stability is an issue. The other more pressing issue is the hull thickness. There reason I chose G3, because of the .100 gauge aluminum. I have tried to find info on Polar Kraft website, but there is nothing about it. Anybody any idea? My guesstimate would be around .08 or so. Do you all think it is sturdy enough? The boat will be powered by a 15 hp Suzuki 4 stroke, which I think is adequate for general fishing duties.
So these are my main questions for the first round, and I am sure there will be some others as well. Thanks in advance for the info!!!

I bought a 2013 Polar Kraft Dakota 1470 in May. The boat is a deep v and a little different from what you are looking at but I have no complaints on the boat. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Polar Kraft boat. If you are going to be running into wakes or waves the mv would be better than just a flat bottom.