PAINTING ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutnstrut

Reaction score
Well just primed my project 14' grumman v bottom and now ready to paint. I plan on using Parkers Duck Boat paint in Hunter Green color. Will a Bostitch 6 gal 2 hp pancake compressor run a hvlp spray gun and if so how much do i thin the paint and with what? acetone or mineral spirts

It should work, as you dont really need much pressure or CFM to run an hvlp. just take your time and when the compressor comes on stop and take a few swigs of your beer.

we have done 7 boats now in the Parkers with a cheapie $20 Harbor Freight gun. We thin at 10% with mineral spirits and put the first 2 coats on pretty thin. We follow that up with 2 heavy coats thinned 5% and it has held up great for us duck hunting.

may try to spray the next one with the 10% for 2 coats then see if the gun will spray it unthinned, im thinking it will spray fine.

i just got the outside of mine painted last week and have pics posted on my mod thread:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14168&start=10

Due to a missed rotten transom the inside paint will have to wait till next weekend or so.

MallardAddict

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and painted my boat with a brush, it turned out good and i did not use a quart to do the whole boat. Parker paint is some great stuff. After you painted your boat how long did you wait to put it in the water?

I dont really have an answer to that as most of us paint our boats and fix blinds through the summer and dont really use the boats till fall for ducks. Mine is gonna be all painted hopefull in the next week or two after a rotten transom popped up, so mine will be at about 2 weeks post paint before i get it wet.

We typically give them a week or two if we can as any slight scrcth will leave a chalky mark, after a little time it quits.

I used a wagner electric HVLP gun to apply my parkers duck boat paint. Turned out great, although it has since taken a beating. Once you open it up you will see that it should not require much thinning as stated. The gallon I received needed quite a bit of mixing, seemed as though it had been sitting for some time. I put something like five coats inside and three outside and I still have a quarter gallon of paint left. I gave it as much drying time as possible but this time of year I wouldn't want to cut into my fishing time!

Latest posts