Piano Hinges

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troutman3000 said:
I guess I'll add a 1 x 2 there and around the hatch for support.

Troutman3000 said:
I planned to use angle iron or a 1 x 2 to support the hatch.

Tell me if I read that correctly. Nowhere did you say you added support last night. How was I supposed to know?

I don't think it was useless at all. It was the equivalent of saying, "Hinges aren't made for holding up a hatch door." Some people don;t know that, and judging by the pictures you posted, you could have been one of them. You left no lip for the hatch to sit on, and you never said that you actually put the angle iron in.

Sorry for offering such useless advice, I'm just trying to help out. For all I know, you didn't know.

dyeguy1212 said:
Troutman3000 said:
I guess I'll add a 1 x 2 there and around the hatch for support.

Troutman3000 said:
I planned to use angle iron or a 1 x 2 to support the hatch.

Tell me if I read that correctly. Nowhere did you say you added support last night. How was I supposed to know?

Why would you assume that I wouldn't?

Alright troutman, you've pushed me far enough.

I just tried to help, now you're saying I'm offering pointless advice and trying to get the last word? Sorry for posting in your thread man.

Troutman3000 said:
dyeguy1212 said:
regardless of the hinge you need something to hold the hatch lid up. Otherwise your foot would be going through it every time.

Right. I planned to use angle iron or a 1 x 2 to support the hatch. I even thought of installing the piano hinge on the top to avoid adding something else below, its not as "pretty, but its funtional.

I guess this is the discrepancy. I thought you meant that adding the piano hinge to the top (connecting the hatch to the deck with the hinge on top of both) would somehow keep you from having to add support underneith. I was simply saying that's not how it works.

What did you mean by this post?

dyeguy1212 said:
Troutman3000 said:
dyeguy1212 said:
regardless of the hinge you need something to hold the hatch lid up. Otherwise your foot would be going through it every time.

Right. I planned to use angle iron or a 1 x 2 to support the hatch. I even thought of installing the piano hinge on the top to avoid adding something else below, its not as "pretty, but its funtional.

I guess this is the discrepancy. I thought you meant that adding the piano hinge to the top (connecting the hatch to the deck with the hinge on top of both) would somehow keep you from having to add support underneith. I was simply saying that's not how it works.

What did you mean by this post?

Two different thoughts.

Right.
1. I planned to use angle iron or a 1 x 2 to support the hatch.

2. I even thought of installing the piano hinge on the top to avoid adding something else below ( another piece to attach the hinge to since there wasnt enough room on the hatch), its not as "pretty, but its funtional.

Sorry if I confused you. :beer:

Troutman3000 said:
Two different thoughts.

Right.
1. I planned to use angle iron or a 1 x 2 to support the hatch.

2. I even thought of installing the piano hinge on the top to avoid adding something else below ( another piece to attach the hinge to since there wasnt enough room on the hatch), its not as "pretty, but its funtional.

Sorry if I confused you. :beer:

Oh! No way of me knowing what width of hinge you bought. Guess that's the issue.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't worry about putting a support under the hinge side if the screws seem like they'll hold. I had no issues doing it this way. But if the screws start loosening, you'll want to go another route.

cavman138 said:
did you find any in stainless or aluminum??

Actually I started looking around yesterday after posting that and I can't find any stainless ones. Guess I'd probably just go with a pair of standard stainless hinges on the top.

wrench001 said:
cavman138 said:
did you find any in stainless or aluminum??

Actually I started looking around yesterday after posting that and I can't find any stainless ones. Guess I'd probably just go with a pair of standard stainless hinges on the top.

This is probably what I will go to once my piano hinges bite the dust.

Latest posts