Pin style Pedestal help when you can't use washers and nuts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you think that the toggle bolts could do the trick? I figured out how to get some "larger" (1/4in) toggle bolts with a decent size washer on top of the mount. Strong enough? Or still no? I'd rather not cut into the foam, its a royal mess, but if the toggle bolts won't do it... I guess I .... might :|

baptistpreach said:
do you think that the toggle bolts could do the trick? I figured out how to get some "larger" (1/4in) toggle bolts with a decent size washer on top of the mount. Strong enough? Or still no? I'd rather not cut into the foam, its a royal mess, but if the toggle bolts won't do it... I guess I .... might :|

The only reason I cut the side access was because I already had a 3/16" 12 x12" aluminum plate cut and it seemed like a waste to not use it, besides, with a 30HP on it, I want to ensure it's as secure as possible. I cut a 3" high x 13" wide panel off and have taken a long knife to cut the styrofoam out. The weather turned nasty here, so I haven't been able to work on it, but my goal is to remove a complete block of foam and be able to reinsert it; although I'm doubtful that'll work. I really didn't want to disturb my foam either....and yes...it is a royal mess.

To answer your question, I would have tried toggle bolts if I didn't have the aluminum plate. While trying to figure it out, I ran across some toggle-type bolts in Home Depot called WingIts. They looked incredibly strong. I know of someone else who just finished a boat and took an aluminum plate similar to mine, but not as thick and used rivets to fasten it to the bench; his theory is that it distributes the force across a greater surface reducing the chance of pulling something loose in any one area. Although I would have tried the WingIts, it would be because I didn't find any toggle bolts as heavy as your 1/4" ones. I can't remember if you provided your base dimensions, but hopefully it's a bigger platform to spread out the "pull". My goal was to cover as much surface as possible on the bottom of the bench to reduce the liklihood of pulling through when torque is placed on the seat.