Plastic Boat? Would you buy one?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were into kayaks, which I'm not, I could see tossing something like that in the car just in case I ran into some unplanned opportunity to get on the water. Otherwise, I would prefer to just hang a "normal" kayak up on the roof rack.

Kayaks are hard enough to get in and out of. The only kayak I'd ever own is a nice sit on top with a chair system like a Hobie. And as a plus sized American, I'm not owning one of them either.

I used a Porta-Bote for well over five years while fulltiming in my RV. All manner of waterways. Large(est) and small rivers in the west and Midwest. Gulf of Mexico and SoCal coast. Fished, duck hunted and camped from the critter. I've seen this same Kayak used by other full time RVer's. A few fished from them. Most seemed to utilize them for recreation.

I used a Porta-Bote for well over five years while fulltiming in my RV. All manner of waterways. Large(est) and small rivers in the west and Midwest. Gulf of Mexico and SoCal coast. Fished, duck hunted and camped from the critter. I've seen this same Kayak used by other full time RVer's. A few fished from them. Most seemed to utilize them for recreation.
I hope you actually wear your life jacket. Most everything works until it doesn’t work. Glad to hear that you are having an active retirement.

Kayaks are hard enough to get in and out of. The only kayak I'd ever own is a nice sit on top with a chair system like a Hobie. And as a plus sized American, I'm not owning one of them either.
I fished sit on top kayaks for many years with my two favorites being a Hobie Revolution and an Ocean Kayak Torque (electric.) Sold the Hobie to a friend last summer and the Torque will go next year. I’m not flexible enough to safely use them any longer.

This would be a nope for me. Kayaks are cheap and light. If I get one it'll be the real deal.

Check this out. I'm not sure I'd buy one but I would try it out if I had the chance. How about the rest of the forum crowd?

https://ca.orukayak.com/
If you are less than 120lb and in warm conditions it might and I stress might be ok as long as there are no rocks or standing timber. But as for me I will stay with my tin boats.

When we had the travel trailer I had to leave the boat at home (for some reason they wouldn't let me pull both at the same time :)). A folding boat would have been a nice thing to have when camping alongside a lake.

I kind of just realized, I've actually never been in a kayak. Getting in and out would be my concern. My 30 something year old kids make it look easy.

The first and last time I tried a Kayak, my buddy took me down what he called "a easy paddle"!

Last edited:
I recently saw a woman in one while we were fishing. It actually looked remarkably solid.

I would consider using one if it was rated for 250 lbs, but I would probably want to test drive one in warm water a number of times before pulling the trigger.

When we had the travel trailer I had to leave the boat at home (for some reason they wouldn't let me pull both at the same time :)). A folding boat would have been a nice thing to have when camping alongside a lake.
The transom weight limitation was the only drawback to the Porta-bote. Nonetheless the 56lb 5 hp Tohatsu pushed the empty bote along at 20mph. Loaded with waterfowling gear it did it's best to slide around at 15mph. The little bugger would float in 3 inches of water.