Prevalence of "Electric Only" Lakes?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen plenty of no-wake lakes for small bodies of water mostly intended for fishing, but haven't seen any electric only. I would think that electric lakes would first start with charging a premium for gas boats that eventually drives gas boats out of coming - sort of like cigarette taxes that taxed people to quit - it seems like the number of people who have or can afford an electric boat motor are still pretty small. It's not just the motors that are extremely expensive but the batteries can easily double or triple the investment.

I figure that electric motor requirements will take a while to hit most recreational lakes (where I tend to spend the most time) to give people time to afford motors and batteries. Hopefully they do like cars and allow vintage boats access because I know some Chris-Crafters that have many tens of thousands tied up in restoration to just throw it away and not even be able to sell it because who wants a boat that can't be run anywhere?
Wish they would accept propane powered in place of only elec.

The only electric only lakes that I’m aware of in my area are restricted tackle (fly fishing) lakes under 100 acres. I fly fish and I do enjoy fishing them. I will pull the outboard off the boat to do so. On the other hand, I don’t think it’s that safe to be on a larger lake with nothing but, a trolling motor.

The high kW electrics really don’t make economical sense. Also, from an ecological point of view they are just trading one form of pollution for another.

News flash, on electric only lakes wakes are also a big problem. Many of the bass boats have multiple electric outboards giving them speeds of 10 or 12 MPH. Normally this would not be a problem except in order to operate that much power multiple batteries are necessary. I not talking 2 or even 4 batteries. The entire boat is filled from bow to stern side by side, the boats or grossly overloaded. They push a huge wall of water creating a wave that will rock your teeth loose. The small lakes in North Central PA. are flood control lakes, small and narrow with very steep banks, like a bath tub. Most of the boats there are just single motor because it's seasonal fishing for trout. Once in a while someone brings in an electric bass boat, better hang on. They do not need to go top speed because of the overloaded boat pushing all that water. Just an observatio.

Most reservoirs around here are electric only. Some, you can have a gas motor on the boat, tilted out of the water, and some, you can't even have gas on your boat. The reservoirs are excellent fishing because many don't have electric boats.

These are rainwater lakes, very clean, so minimal water purification is needed, and we have excellent water in this area. Add gas motors, and that would change drastically.

There are plenty of other places to run your gas powered boat around here, so not an issue. Maybe out west that is different.

News flash, on electric only lakes wakes are also a big problem. Many of the bass boats have multiple electric outboards giving them speeds of 10 or 12 MPH. Normally this would not be a problem except in order to operate that much power multiple batteries are necessary. I not talking 2 or even 4 batteries. The entire boat is filled from bow to stern side by side, the boats or grossly overloaded. They push a huge wall of water creating a wave that will rock your teeth loose. The small lakes in North Central PA. are flood control lakes, small and narrow with very steep banks, like a bath tub. Most of the boats there are just single motor because it's seasonal fishing for trout. Once in a while someone brings in an electric bass boat, better hang on. They do not need to go top speed because of the overloaded boat pushing all that water. Just an observatio.

Good point, CRS. At some point we’ll see a wattage limitation tacked on to the electric only. WA already has a 250W limit for powered boats under 16’ that do not require registration. It was 10 hp until recently. You can‘t do much with 250W. Even a little 35 pound thrust trolling motor could exceed this. Also, in WA you cannot have gas or diesel motor on your boat when navigating an electric only lake.

Personally, I think ”No Wake” for small lakes makes more sense than limiting propulsion methods or power.

Sorry, Ray. I have a hard time buying into this too deeply. I'll concede that it's true, but the other side of that arguement is California, where thier new, (not yet implemented), law is doing away with small gas engines, (mostly lawn care equipment), in favor of electrics. BUT......the boating industry was untouched. Now, a vast majority of Cali's waterways are drinking water reservoirs, or used as such. You'd think they would have regulated that, too, if the water quality was so important, especially in California.
While California's upcoming small motor ban does not apply to outboards, the state's CARB requirements have all but eliminated sale of anything but clean four-strokes. I think it is pretty much a forgone conclusion that gaso outboards will be on the chopping block when realistic electric options become available.

You....ummmm.....wouldn't happen to be speaking of jet ski pilots, would you?

Affectionately known as "lake lice". Hahah. In truth, I've found the jet skis to display better manners that the guys in glittery bass boats with big outboards. Still don't understand why those guys think it is cool to blast right along the shoreline.

As for applying "manners" to offenders...that's hard, and bureaucracies don't do hard. They makes rules that apply to everybody with as little effort as needed to enforce, and even enforcement is lacking sometimes. No judgement calls needed.

This is so true. A lot, if not most, California beaches ban dogs. Reason is to protect the habitat especially for some endangered species like the snowy plover. The correct and common sense rule would be to ban dogs off leash. Instead, it is just easier to ban all dogs.

( somewhat off topic ramble) I thought it ironic that I saw this thread while searching the internet for "Can I plane a Kayak?" and thinking about a high speed prop on a big trolling motor... 250w is about 1/3 HP gas equivalent, likely less power than half of a 55lb trolling motor. Not enough to plane a kayak or even make a decent wake. I like the Mr. Fusion nuclear idea, given you are sitting above the cooling source. Throttling it might be a problem (think Chernobyl). Seems like any time "they" try more restrictions "we" tries harder to figure out a way around it and interesting solutions are born.

Compared to previous chemistry's, I love lithium ion but I'm not sure I want to be on a small boat when a pack goes into thermal runaway. I'm guessing the kids that are all gung ho about electric and Teslas and all that have not seen what salt water does to electrical connections, but they'll figure it out with time. Bring enough life jacket to swim home I guess. What do they say about Steam?

We have some HP limited lakes in DFW Texas area but that's all about perception. You can hot up a 5hp quite a bit and still show malicious compliance with your 5hp cowl. Same for electric, two different motors of roughly the same size can be dramatically different power. Heat is the issue, and we're back to water cooling with the boat being on top of the cooling source.

I like the no wake idea if "they" are wanting to settle things down. I believe some of the town lakes here have a speed limit, and that is pretty easy to enforce. The game wardens / park rangers have a built in "Don't be a jackass" meter that they can enforce here regardless of propulsion method.

Last edited:
While California's upcoming small motor ban does not apply to outboards, the state's CARB requirements have all but eliminated sale of anything but clean four-strokes. I think it is pretty much a forgone conclusion that gaso outboards will be on the chopping block when realistic electric options become available.

California is kind'a known for enacting laws before realistic options become available.

Georgia has many HP restricted and electric only lakes. These are usually 200-800 acres and are the water supplies for the nearby towns. The other choice are the 50,000+ acre unrestricted lakes. The big lakes can be a zoo on the weekends. We fish for bluegill and put together a boat for the HP restricted and total electric lakes. It is a much more pleasant experience for us.

I'm not a supporter of electric vehicles, can't see myself ever owning one for many reasons.
It's interesting to hear about the different types of lakes in Georgia, with some being HP restricted and electric only, while others are larger and unrestricted. It seems like you have found a more enjoyable fishing experience on the HP restricted and electric lakes, where you can focus on catching bluegill.

Regarding your stance on electric vehicles (EVs), everyone has their own preferences and reasons for their choices. It's perfectly valid if you don't see yourself owning an electric vehicle and have reservations about them. EV ownership involves various factors such as personal needs, infrastructure availability, and individual preferences.

It's important to consider different perspectives and make decisions based on what aligns with your specific circumstances and priorities. There are various factors to weigh when choosing a vehicle, including performance, range, charging infrastructure, and environmental impact. Ultimately, the choice between electric and conventional vehicles depends on individual considerations and priorities.

Regardless of personal vehicle preferences, it's great that you've found a pleasant fishing experience on the HP-restricted and electric lakes in Georgia. Enjoying your time on the water and engaging in activities that bring you joy is what matters most.

Regarding your stance on electric vehicles (EVs), everyone has their own preferences and reasons for their choices. It's perfectly valid if you don't see yourself owning an electric vehicle and have reservations about them. EV ownership involves various factors such as personal needs, infrastructure availability, and individual preferences.

It's important to consider different perspectives and make decisions based on what aligns with your specific circumstances and priorities. There are various factors to weigh when choosing a vehicle, including performance, range, charging infrastructure, and environmental impact. Ultimately, the choice between electric and conventional vehicles depends on individual considerations and priorities.
I never said that anyone shouldn't own a EV. I tow a boat. EV trucks have terrible range when towing. I'm also concerned about the impact they have on the environment. But to each their own.

I never said that anyone shouldn't own a EV. I tow a boat. EV trucks have terrible range when towing. I'm also concerned about the impact they have on the environment. But to each their own.
Ditto. Plus I don’t like to be fed BS. Certain groups are trying to force us out of using fossil fuels while the full environmental impact of electric vehicles is getting whitewashed. Not to mention that we don’t have the power grid to support it.

Latest posts