projects that have been inspired by this forum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate T

Reaction score
I have been a member for a while and looking at member projects even longer.

A few years ago I decided to try my own project and it has been a slippery slope ever since.

A friend and myself bought this boat together with the intent of fishing out of it regularly, but that did not work out. I bought him out and started my first project.
IMG_20160513_165313.jpg
IMG_20160513_165321.jpg

This was a pretty mild mod, in that I made a new transom out of some douglas fir then fibreglassed them for longevity. I added a nice comfy seat I bought at Basspro on sale for when I was at the tiller and built a casting deck with a recess for the trolling motor. I should have built more storage for tackle but I was on a deadline and just needed to get it done and carpeted.
I liked this boat but it was small and while the motor was very reliable I really wanted something with a key start.

This boat is currently for sale in my area.

Last Christmas my wife said I should go buy a new boat, so I had the green light to buy a more expensive boat, I could not justify something like that so close to Christmas.
I found a 1986 Grumman Challenger with a 1999 Johnson 50. Got a pretty good deal on the boat but not much was included, luckily I had a spare trolling motor and battery.

I have not really modified the boat as of yet, more just upgraded.

First I added a new hand winch and tires to add some reliability to the trailer.
Next I pulled the front and rear decks off to see what I was dealing with.
I wrapped all the wiring in the boat in plastic loom to keep from chaffing, added a twist lock minn kota plug and quick release for my trolling motor. Removed the old trolling motor plug and turned it into my graph power source. I also ran new wire for the trolling motor so I could eventually put on a 24v motor.
In the rear I made up a new battery tray that holds 3 gp27 batteries and added bus work to the cranking battery so I could use automotive fuses and make the wiring cleaner. I also added a new fuel cell and 2 bank charger which will be replaced when I go 24v on the trolling motor.

IMG_20151112_182649.png
IMG_20160313_170052.jpg
IMG_20160313_170122.jpg

I did not take many pictures of the project so far but I was in get'er done mode.
I added a faria tach with warning lights and a faria trim gauge.
I have had it out a couple of times and I have to say the tach is well worth the money.

I will be fishing my local bassmaster series and then this fall extending the front deck and adding a rod locker and more front storage.

I just want to thank all the guys on this site that have inspired me to take on these projects and know that any questions can be answered with a quick search of these forums.

fender66 said:
The inspiration that's been created on this forum is unmeasurable.

I think I read this whole darn forum before I started on mine, :lol: , then I went to work!
Even though I did a few things that were never really hit on, the thought process was inspired by the forum in general and I am very happy with the outcome.