Prop Shops?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
Actually have had good sucess with Amazon, I only use Michigan wheel as I don't have anything real high performance. I am fortunate enough to have a prop shop not to far. While not cheap...there knowledge is valuable !! They have made mods and repairs to my props in the past and the results were great...well worth the extra bucks. If you going with an off the shelf standared wheel, go where ever. That particular company....I have no experience....

Amazon usually works good for me too, but they don't have my prop. I drive by the old prop shop in town all the time. Sadly it's been closed for 5 years. One of our local marinas used to do a lot of prop work, but not much these days. They have the tools though so can maybe talk them into a rehub if can lay my hands on the part: 65079 (Michigan Wheel) Also not on Amazon.

So nobody has used any of these? Maybe I should stay away too. Just got back from the only local marina that ever did prop work. Seems they sold off their equipment since last I was there, so I can cross that option off the list. An old boy dug around thinking he had a prop for me, but he must have sold it.

So nobody has used any of these? Maybe I should stay away too. Just got back from the only local marina that ever did prop work. Seems they sold off their equipment since last I was there, so I can cross that option off the list. An old boy dug around thinking he had a prop for me, but he must have sold it.
I have the Michigan aluminum 11p and ran it for years on a 1436 flat bottom Gibson hull. Brother in law gave me his stainless 12p when his motor locked up and I re-pitched it to 10p to put the engine on my 1548v. It made a 200 rpm difference vs the 11p but top speed was the same. It made a slight difference in acceleration. My motor is a 1969 25 hp 22ci motor and doesn't have the power that the 32ci has.
Neither prop has cup so you can't run them high or it will blow out in turns. I never looked into any other brands of props.

What I'm really looking for is recommendations on which if any of my prop sources is trustworthy. I'm not big on sending my cc no. to random web sites, but none of the places I trust have the prop I need. Thanks for info though.

BTW I got a quote from General Prop of $75-100 to freshen up my prop. I'm sure that's not a bad price, but two way shipping is NOT included. Making the cost close to what a new prop will set me back. They also can't tell me how long it will take.

Yep...with so many props being sourced overseas, it is hard to justify repair costs, this is why prop shops are closed. Our local shop is good, very good, never steered me wrong, but I no longer have performance boats so off the shelf stuff works for me. I will say that in the past, while costly, there custom made/ reworked props would out perform anything else on the market, in my opinion, well worth the extra cost!!

Well, I ordered a Solas Amita 3 prop on Amazon a couple of weeks ago. They sent a Honda prop for my Suzuki. Nice looking prop but, it didn’t fit.

Ordered two props from Propeller Depot in Florida yesterday. The price was fair, checkout was painless and they shipped the same day. The part numbers on the order confirmation match up and they seem to be on their game. I’m not expecting any surprises. Will post either way once they are in hand.

Oh, I tried the local prop shop first. They have treated me very good in the past but, this time their price was almost double what I could find online. If it was only 25% higher or thereabouts, I would have given them my business.

Last edited:
Somehow doofus me forgot who I got my last prop from. Found the receipt: Green Bay Props. Looked on their web site and they list the same exact Solas prop for both motors! So I got out the original prop from the 65 Fastwin 18 and compared the two. Yes the size is the same, including the hub bore and the pin fits. The pitch is said to be the same too. The thing is though the shape of the blades is quite a bit different. Guess I'm going to put the Solas on the 25 and see if it'll work. BTW this prop is WAAAAAYYYY cheaper than anything else I've found and cheaper than a rehub. When I get a chance I'll post a pic of the 18 and 25 props showing the difference in the shape of the blades to see what you guys think.

So the Solas that wouldn't fit the 18 without significant massaging similarly won't fit the 25 without the same. Looks like my options are getting more limited. I'm tempted to pin the hub with a stove bolt. Would that be really stupid?

So the Solas that wouldn't fit the 18 without significant massaging similarly won't fit the 25 without the same. Looks like my options are getting more limited. I'm tempted to pin the hub with a stove bolt. Would that be really stupid?
No, but use a brass bolt, used to use them often as well as pieces of brass rod back in my younger days, come to think of, don't remember buying shear pins, just making them.

That's good to know, but what am thinking about is drilling a hold through side of prop, maybe in two places, threading it and inserting a bolt of some sort. The prop would no longer slip, but also guess I'd lose the protection it's designed to provide? I'm just having a hard time investing 3-4x what I paid for the motor just for a prop.

Start hitting garage and yard sales, most everyone in my area has a prop or two or more, never know what you might find. You got a good buy on a motor, going cheap wont make it last longer or easier to work on.

Point well taken. I managed to snag a discount on the Michigan prop at a place I've done business with before.

All I've seen at yard sales is the occasional outboard. Always old, always crappy looking, and always ran really good 5 years ago. Oh and a really cheesy 14' Lowe I saw on Saturday. Was going to buy until I found out the transom was held on with fiberglass and silicone! Thinnest tinny ever saw. I could easily lift the bow shoulder high with one arm and flex the transom by pushing on it. It was like a pie pan. No thanks. I'd rather not find out what it's like to have a boat sink.

The more you look, the better off you will be. As you look at more and more junk, it will become much easier to spot a better quality boat and know its value.

Look at it this way, the money you “saved” on the engine, spend it on a good prop. Just like putting good tires on a cheap car, or good graphs on a cheap boat.

I know you guys are right. I'm going with the expensive prop. Narrowed it down to two vendors, both selling well below the $199.99 MRP. I could kick myself for not treating this motor more kindly. It may not have ever spun except I wanted to see what kind of hole shot I could get.

I’m in the same boat as you! Pun intended. I recently replaced a prop shaft seal (other seals and water pump) in my lower unit. Easy peasy…. Right??? Wrong. Now it won’t stay in neutral. UGH

Can't you adjust the shift rod?

Just so everyone knows. I did some research and Deep Blue Yacht has terrible reviews. Many say the owner is a rude A-hole. So I contacted the other two for a shipping quote and guess what? The same guy that nobody likes at DBY replied from the Propeller Depot! Apparently his rep is so trashed that he started a new web site. Cross them both off my list, but General Prop seems legit and has mostly good reviews.

I've ordered quite a few cutlass bearings and gland packing over the years from Deep Blue Yacht for my mudboats and I never had a problem. Prices were good and shipping was fast. I never spoke to anyone on the phone though.