Purchase a larger boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you might go check out thehulltruth.com it is a big boat saltwater forum that should help you make a informed purchase.

sirbeigealot said:
Regarding the towing of the boat...I am a truck driver...I should be okay on that issue! :)

Yep, think you're ok on the experience. I assume you got a full sized truck to tow with? I've pulled my 17' for years with my S-10, but it's so narrow it's hard to see around it with the side mirrors. Just got a bigger truck, but haven't pulled with it yet.

Not sure on minimum size, but I'll tell you a complaint I have with my 17'. The console takes up a lot of the width of the boat. I have rod holders mounted on the sides of it and they make it even worse. Make sure you can comfortably walk past the side of the console and have room for anything you might add like a T-top. Mine is also a 2-piece console with the lower part made into the floor. When I tried attaching that sorry excuse for a t-top the upper part of the console wasn't sturdy enough to keep it from wiggling around and coming all to pieces. Don't buy a Bimi-Tee.

The deeper Vs have more deadrise. The deeper the V the smoother the ride. The flatter the boat is, the more stable it is at anchor (doesn't roll with the waves as much). Most deep Vs have deadrise of 18 deg or more. Inshore skiffs have a deadrise of about 10 deg, bay boats vary, but most are around 13 deg. I'm not the authority. Just looking around at websites. You can get a bay boat with a pretty good deadrise, but it won't have high sides. Bay boats have less walkaround room on the floor and have casting decks more like a bass boat. For offshore fishing, the higher sides and deeper V are the way to go.

I have a full size pickup for towing.

For the type of fishing that I do, I'd say that 70% of the time we will stay inshore...just a few miles out of the bay.
We have an island off the coast here...Catalina Island, which is 26 miles out. I would like a boat that could make that trip on occasion.
I dont think I am as concerned about the ride as I am about stability once stopped.
My main concern is being able to have a stable platform on which to fish from.

Regarding the center console taking up space, thats a good point.
I have seen pics of CC's where some look pretty roomy on the sides and others that look tighter.
I will keep that in mind.
And of course...As I looking and gaining information, I still have not gained the approval of the wife...

if i were to buy a cc it would need either one of those flip back cooler seats or a a good size icebox to put fish in

Twenty six miles out in sea can seem like an eternity when the fog rolls in. Make sure have all of the safety equipment needed.

I once got lost at Pyramid Lake in my kayak! :shock:

I have a flip-flop cooler seat. I'd rather have a leaning post. It's best to stand up and drive, especially to cushion you from a rough ride. I drilled the arms of the flip-flop and screwed them to the body with it in the forward position, so I could lean on it. I just use it for storage. Have a built in fish box and carry up to a 94qt cooler in front of console.