Question on new Alumacraft hulls (V14/V16)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zip

Reaction score
Simple questions, but since I haven't seen a new one in person yet, I figured I would ask...

The new v14/16 hulls have the center seats with storage on the sides that allow a center walkway (not a bench seat). I plan to remove them in my future boat to have an open layout, are these structural? Are they bolted to the floor to create structure? Anyone know? My Grumman is beyond repair unfortunately and I am just going to bring to the junk yard and start looking for a new boat.

Without seeing one I can say for sure, they are part of the structure and contain flotation. Being amid ship they will certainly offer some needed structural integrity. I have witnessed boats folding up like a potato chip when the center was removed and no replacement support. The longer the boat, the more critical it becomes. On a new boat, it WILL void your warranty.

There is no foam in them. They are hollow storage compartments. Heres a pic below, I am referring to the middle small ones that do not span the entire length.
1710429275430.png

Would they be providing support if they were not mounted to the floor? Im not disagreeing by the way. Just trying to visualize my plan and how to keep the structural integrity if I do decide to remove them.

If they are not mounted to the floor or a rib below, they are just "floating" there in a sense.

Would they be providing support if they were not mounted to the floor? Im not disagreeing by the way. Just trying to visualize my plan and how to keep the structural integrity if I do decide to remove them.

If they are not mounted to the floor or a rib below, they are just "floating" there in a sense.

Well, I would think there would be some added structural support but it sure seems strange that there would be no attachment to the floor.

Because you are talking about a new hull, I would ask Alumacraft if removing the boxes would be a problem. I'm betting I know the answer, but it never hurts to ask.

Having owned a V16....the side boxes are for structural RIGIDITY. I personally would not remove them.
It is a great hull, very stable...I only sold it as I wanted more storage and a SC.

That being said, there is a guy in Europe that removed the side boxes and completely tricked out the boat! He basically removes all the hull interior pieces. He turns the boat into a SC.

His video build is worth checking out if you are interested in this hull. he does nice work using simple tools and he is pretty creative. There are over 20 parts to his videos, each covering different parts of his build. I watched all of them. Important to start at Part #1 to get the full perspective of his build and ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/@ricardasbubulis3944

Yes I would add bracing for sure if I decide to take them out. I am still hoping to find a used model so I wouldn't "cut up a new boat" and void the warranty.

@Tin Man thanks for that video. It actually shows what I was asking about! In part 1 at the 3:30 mark hes taking out the second box, they appear to not have a bottom, be he looks like he IS in fact drilling out something at the bottom of the boxes to remove them. So I think it would be okay to add some aluminum angle and mount to the floor and the sides to keep the rigidly with braces.

EDIT: I also just saw this on the warranty info on the alumacraft website: Alumacraft Boat Co. (“Alumacraft”) warrants its model-year 2022 Alumacraft boats, excluding Jon boat models, sold by authorized Alumacraft Dealer

Does this mean jon boats have no warranty?

Yes I would add bracing for sure if I decide to take them out. I am still hoping to find a used model so I wouldn't "cut up a new boat" and void the warranty.

@Tin Man thanks for that video. It actually shows what I was asking about! In part 1 at the 3:30 mark hes taking out the second box, they appear to not have a bottom, be he looks like he IS in fact drilling out something at the bottom of the boxes to remove them. So I think it would be okay to add some aluminum angle and mount to the floor and the sides to keep the rigidly with braces.

EDIT: I also just saw this on the warranty info on the alumacraft website: Alumacraft Boat Co. (“Alumacraft”) warrants its model-year 2022 Alumacraft boats, excluding Jon boat models, sold by authorized Alumacraft Dealer

Does this mean jon boats have no warranty?
Not sure if they have no warranty....but logic tells me that may be the case as most Jons are used hard and as utility work boats, for a variety of uses including, fishing, hunting, dock work/repair, buoy setting, etc.