quick wire gauge question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMull53

Reaction score
ok so im running a fresh new electrical system in my 14' jon boat. i know each electrical component has its own gauge needed i.e. 14 - 22, what ever it may be. my question is, if i am running all my components from 12v battery to rocker panel switch board with built in fuses, all the components get wired to the rocker panel, but what gauge is needed from 12v to the rocker panel to power the entire system? is it just as small as the other components, or is it a heavier duty gauge like in an automobile. thanks in advance.

Heavy, as that run must be of sufficient gauge to handle the Amp load of, worst case, all of the devices turned on at the same time.

You can add up the amp load of items you're using, but offhand I'd say a 10 AWG run should be sufficient. Fuse it close to the battery.

ok that sounds pretty good. either match the pig tail gauge already installed on the rocker panel or go a gauge or two larger than that? is that an option as well?

This is what I would recommend.

Ancor Marine Grade Electrical Standard Duplex Tinned Boat Cable 10 Gauge Duplex Wire, Sold per Foot

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ancor-marine--duplex-wire-by-the-foot--P009_274_003_002

Latest posts