Recommendations needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hah, as i was reading this, i was picturing the place that i like to fish that has a steep slope to enter and then when you posted the picture, it turns out you fish there too. great spot, we can keep its name to ourselves.

anyway, i have a wheel set that floats that i made to use there when launching a 14' jon boat. i keep it strapped to the boat and just wheel it right in over the boulders into the water. then, once i am afloat, i release the ratchet strap that holds it to the boat and just pull it out from underneath. i will get a picture for you later today.

acabtp said:
hah, as i was reading this, i was picturing the place that i like to fish that has a steep slope to enter and then when you posted the picture, it turns out you fish there too. great spot, we can keep its name to ourselves.

anyway, i have a wheel set that floats that i made to use there when launching a 14' jon boat. i keep it strapped to the boat and just wheel it right in over the boulders into the water. then, once i am afloat, i release the ratchet strap that holds it to the boat and just pull it out from underneath. i will get a picture for you later today.

I don't have a problem launching. I just wheel it to the rocks (more like trying to keep it from launching its self) and let it slide in. The wheels stay on the rocks once I hold them back a bit and the stearn hits the water. The point of this post was on how to keep from wearing out the bottom of my J boat. How do you get yours out of the water and up the hill without dragging it over the rocks? I'm guessing your not fishing alone.
Here's a pic of the cart I built. All aluminum. Doesn't float but only weighs a few lbs. I can grab that rod to hold it back while I launch. I really should tie a rope on it in case it gets away.
And I try not to share that spot too often. :wink:

Attachments

• 2011-07-13_18-00-57_586 (Medium).jpg
    2011-07-13_18-00-57_586 (Medium).jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 826
Here is another option if the aluminum strips don't work out:

https://www.keelguard.com/keelguard.html

It is designed to protect the keel of larger boats but I don't see why you couldn't buy one, cut it into shorter lengths and plaster them to your strakes. They use a specialized 3M pressure sensative adhesive that sticks things down like the were welded in place...it is really amazing stuff. Going this route you wouldn't have to poke any holes in the bottom of your boat.

Agree with baitcaster, seems like all you would need for a 10 foot boat would be something light, like maybe even a half sheet of plywood, cut long ways? That would be 2x8 but would probably be enough to keep it off the rocks.

Uh...

I know this is probably silly...

how about moving some rocks?

You seem to have enough guys in that picture, why not forgo putting the boats in, and lever some of the rocks out of the way to a sufficiency for boat launch.

Best wishes.

LMAO! Funny this just came up again since it is that time of year. I just glued 3 short strips of aluminum to the strakes to help ward off the inevitable. Used epoxy on 2 and Cabelas hot melt stick on another to see which holds up best. But it only needs to last another year(maybe)
acabtp...Did you hear they are making a new "real" launch off to the right of the parking lot? I have mixed feelings about it. But at least they wont find my cold dead body laying on that old ramp some morning from dragging my worn out jon boat up that **** thing!
And to answer your question Kismit, besides the fact that most of those guys are yakers and don't really care about the rocks...The rocks are pretty big. You can only see the top of them. Believe me. I've thought about taking a sledge hammer to them pletty of times.
I'd be there awhile... :cry:

What about getting a cheap carpet runner and laying it down over the rocks? I've seen that done before and it worked pretty good.

jklett said:
What about getting a cheap carpet runner and laying it down over the rocks? I've seen that done before and it worked pretty good.

Now thats a pretty good idea! Would be be a bit of a hassle dragging the carpet up and down the ramp though. I might get one and try leaving it there. Other guys might appreciate it.