Removing Boat to Work on Trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_4X4

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
My trailer is in great need of some TLC and I want to get the boat off of it and get it ship shape and Bristol fashion, but I need the boat to be off of it for a while. What do you all normally do for this? I assume calling around to places who will somehow store an un-trailered boat but I've looked around and haven't seen anyone offering that. I live in Colorado so it's not like when I was in the south and there were lakes everywhere and boat places in abundance, there are only a few boat shops around here and their yards are fairly small and I only ever see trailered boats on them.

I've thought of getting boat jacks and putting my boat up on them while I fix the trailer but that then ties up my garage for however long that will take (and prevents access to that part of the garage which I always need access to regularly) and I would be a basket of nerves anytime I was near it for fear that it would tip off. I know I need to do this eventually to do some work on my boat but hopefully that's just a weekend at a time.

Currently my only avenues seems to be to buy a new trailer, which is very hard to find used and very expensive new in Colorado, or rent a slip for the duration which is insanely expensive in Colorado with so few lakes with marinas.

It's no John boat, I've got a 350lb boat and 200lb motor to contend with, so not an easy feat to man-handle it.

What about a pay by the month storage facility ? In my area, they are all over !! If you have a friend or two it isn't that hard...I took my 18' Starcraft off the trailer by myself, not fun but doable !! Go slow and think thru each step

Have or know someone with a side yard where you could store the boat while you work on the trailer? Put it on some simple cradles made of scrap 2x material.
I'll have to look into building a cradle out of wood, the part that scares me is getting it onto a cradle from the trailer, presumably the cradle is multiple pieces so you jack up the rear of the boat, put it on the cradle, pull forward a bit and rinse-and-repeat until it's cradled.

What about a pay by the month storage facility ? In my area, they are all over !! If you have a friend or two it isn't that hard...I took my 18' Starcraft off the trailer by myself, not fun but doable !! Go slow and think thru each step
I actually have a storage yard I keep my boat in that I could use, and I've considered that before but my fear is that someone accessing the next slot does something, either intentionally or accidentally and then my boat is on the ground. It's a good idea I have to think more about how to make that work out.

I found a great video of a guy who build up a wooden cradle, it was much like I envisioned it to be - all the way down to addressing the fear of the supports separating by using ratchet straps. Thanks for the replies, this helped to get my plan together to cradle the boat in my storage spot!

YouTube Video

Last edited:
I'll have to look into building a cradle out of wood, the part that scares me is getting it onto a cradle from the trailer, presumably the cradle is multiple pieces so you jack up the rear of the boat, put it on the cradle, pull forward a bit and rinse-and-repeat until it's cradled.

Here is a pic of a simple cradle I made for the rear of my boat. Lower the tongue jack all the way down so the transom is in the air as far as it will go. Slide the cradle under the transom. Raise the tongue jack. The stern will lift off the rear of the trailer and be sitting on the cradle. . Raise the tongue as high as it will go. Put a support under the bow. Lower the tongue. Boat is now clear of trailer.

IMO, the 4x beams shown in that video are way overkill for what you need.

cradle.jpg

IMO, the 4x beams shown in that video are way overkill for what you need.
Oh, agreed, my boat isn't that heavy, it was more the spirit and concept more than the actual construction. I think his video was overkill even for his boat, but better safe than sorry if you have the scrap lumber sitting around anyway.

I have noodled on this very issue for a couple of weeks now. My tinny is very light, but I don't want risk it crashing down whilst I move it by myself on/off the trailer (been working on drilling out new bunks in a different spot than the old ones) and thought perhaps a cherry picker (engine hoist) to pickup the front and back of the boat and roll it to put on cradles would be the ticket.

Thoughts?

I have noodled on this very issue for a couple of weeks now. My tinny is very light, but I don't want risk it crashing down whilst I move it by myself on/off the trailer (been working on drilling out new bunks in a different spot than the old ones) and thought perhaps a cherry picker (engine hoist) to pickup the front and back of the boat and roll it to put on cradles would be the ticket.

Thoughts?
Take a look at the video I posted above, I've seen this done with various devices (expensive boat jacks to just cribbing) but this is much more stable, doesn't take much to build and is a one-man de-trailering effort.

Take a look at the video I posted above, I've seen this done with various devices (expensive boat jacks to just cribbing) but this is much more stable, doesn't take much to build and is a one-man de-trailering effort.

I didn't even see the link sitting there. lol

Ya, my situation is way simpler than that. Basically hump the boat off of the trailer and set on furniture rollers. lol

DSC05810.JPG

I didn't even see the link sitting there. lol

Ya, my situation is way simpler than that. Basically hump the boat off of the trailer and set on furniture rollers. lol
Much easier with your boat than mine. I've got this motor on the back of my 325# tinny (and yes, it flies like it's on drugs), so it needs much more "oomph" than that 😬.

1686771456994.jpeg

Thanks! The famed Tower of Power straight 6. Goes through gas like nobody's business but it's fun drinking it up! The best part of these towers is the sound it makes, it just sounds mean fast and tough! Vroom!
Ha! I have a Leaning Tower of Power!

DSC04154.JPG

That is when I first got her. I've cleaned up the underhood since then

When I pulled my 18' off the trailer, just pulled the boat back a couple feet with my 70 hp johnson the made a stand , then raised the tongue to put weight on the rear stand. Pulled the trailer forward about half way the used a cherry picker to lift the bow, removed the trailer and built a stand/ cribbing under the keel and set it down... One man operation...just move slow and carefull !!!

When I referenced the monthly rental place, I was thinking about a garage type storage unit so no one could mess with your boat....just thinking out loud !!

Pulled the trailer forward about half way the used a cherry picker to lift the bow

I had considered that as my first option but I would have to rent a cherry picker. The technique the guy used in the video requires a bit more prep work to make sure your trailer clears the cradle but it's pretty slick once you see it in action.