Removing Gluvit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowe210

Reaction score
I have power washed and wire brushed the inside of my Texas Maid and most of the old cracked Gluvit has been removed. However, there are still small areas around some of the rivets where the Gluvit has not come off. I don't really want to go in and scrape each offending rivet with a razor blade, so is there some "easier" method to remove or dissolve the Gluvit? FYI, I plan to replace these areas with new Gluvit, so what are your thoughts on putting new Gluvit over any old Gluvit that remains?

Coat over them ,,, but use West Systems G-Flex 650 ... it's cheaper and flexible!

Note ANY epoxy product - if exposed to the sun - must be over-coated with paint, as UV kills uncovered epoxies.

Gluvit is not meant to be a final coating, its a sealer meant to seep into hidden crevices and around loose rivets and such.
It has zero UV resistance. When used it must be painted over for protection. Flexible coatings rarely get deep into the hard to find leaks and pin holes like Gluvit does.
When I painted the inside of my current boat about 15 years ago I pressure washed the inside, let it dry, then brushed all seams, rivets, and welds with Gluvit, then went over the entire interior Tuff Coat non skid coating. It protected the Gluvit, gave me a very non slip finish, and quieted the hull considerably.