Replace Bus with Blue Sea

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rallypedigree

Reaction score
Hi all-first post and new to me boat. Could I replace this improvised Bus set up with a Blue Sea fuse block?

Left goes to motor, 25hp 2 stroke electric start with 6amp alternator
Right goes to battery cutoff switch (+) and battery (-) at bow. There is a 12v socket wired in as well just above.
The middle is just a piece of leather that hangs over the positive bus.

Trying to confirm if I could just wire the negatives to the negative pole on a Blue Sea, and the positives to the positive pole on the Blue Sea. Then add the socket to one of the fuses.

Attachments

• IMG_0692.jpeg
    IMG_0692.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to Tinboats!

If the wire size going to your battery is large enough, you can add a fuse panel where the 12V outlet is now. You can run the outlet off the new fuse block and then add other accesories. I would not try to tie the motor into a fuse block. I'd leave it on the disconnect.

If the wire size is too small, run new wire for the fuse block and move the 12V outlet to it. Keep the original wire for the outboard.

Welcome to Tinboats!

If the wire size going to your battery is large enough, you can add a fuse panel where the 12V outlet is now. You can run the outlet off the new fuse block and then add other accesories. I would not try to tie the motor into a fuse block. I'd leave it on the disconnect.

If the wire size is too small, run new wire for the fuse block and move the 12V outlet to it. Keep the original wire for the outboard.
Thanks for the reply. That was sort of where my head was at but didn’t know if I was overcomplicating it. I’m not 100% sure of the gauge of the wire coming off the battery currently, but it looks very close to the size of the leads from the motor.

Is there any sketchiness to leaving this open bus as-is? PO used it this was for years without issue, so perhaps not. Just seems a little weird to have open connections around water lol.

Thanks for the reply. That was sort of where my head was at but didn’t know if I was overcomplicating it. I’m not 100% sure of the gauge of the wire coming off the battery currently, but it looks very close to the size of the leads from the motor.

Is there any sketchiness to leaving this open bus as-is? PO used it this was for years without issue, so perhaps not. Just seems a little weird to have open connections around water lol.
The "hot" terminals have the cover to prevent inadvertant contact with ground terminals. The hull maybe grounded through the motor, so protects from contact to the alum hull, too. ie something conductive falls across the terminals or "hot" to hull.

Freshwater is not very conductive. Saltwater is. It would probably need to be submerged to short across.

The "hot" terminals have the cover to prevent inadvertant contact with ground terminals. The hull maybe grounded through the motor, so protects from contact to the alum hull, too. ie something conductive falls across the terminals or "hot" to hull.

Freshwater is not very conductive. Saltwater is. It would probably need to be submerged to short across.
Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it.