Replaced throttle cables Part Deux,

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
Adjusting said throttle cables:

Before I changed the throttle cables, I had to put the “Throttle Handle Inching (part 7 from yamaha schematic)” all the way up when starting.
After changing the cable, it’s “balls out”, as soon as I turn the ignition. What I need to know, BALL PARK, is how should the cables inside the box be set, toward the back or toward the front?
I will help in any way possible to explain my question.
Thanks

I would like to think that Yumsters attach similarly to OMCs, since they copied the original design(s) part for part, but here is the OMC script:

Throttle Cable - Note gear cable not attached to the OB yet ...
  • Verify fast idle lever down is in RUN position or otherwise not engaged.
  • Move remote control handle from Neutral to Forward detent and then 1/2-way back to Neutral. This 'shift lever/handle' setting positions it for proper throttle cable adjustment.
  • Ensure engine throttle lever on OB block is tight against the idle stop screw (lowest idle setting).
  • Attach
  • Check cable adjustment; if throttle cable adjustment is too loose, idle speed might be high and inconsistent. If throttle cable adjustment is too tight, control effort might be high through the shifting range.

Shift Cable
  • Move the remote control handle to Neutral (to ensure Neutral detent/lockout engages properly).
  • Then move the remote control handle to full throttle in Forward.
  • Rotate prop shaft & shift OB gearcase into Forward by hand.
  • Attach.
  • Pull firmly on cable casing to remove backlash and adjust cable trunnion nut to locate in anchor pocket.
  • Shift the remote control to Neutral
  • Temporarily (and carefully - DO NOT move anything) remove the shift cable from the motor and verify that the OB gearcase is in its Neutral detent.

Again, this is the OMC way ... but maybe it will help!

DaleH said:
I would like to think that Yumsters attach similarly to OMCs, since they copied the original design(s) part for part, but here is the OMC script:

Throttle Cable - Note gear cable not attached to the OB yet ...
  • Move remote control handle from Neutral to Forward detent and then 1/2-way back to Neutral. This 'shift lever/handle' setting positions it for proper throttle cable adjustment.
  • Ensure engine throttle lever on OB block is tight against the idle stop screw (lowest idle setting).
  • Attach
  • Check cable adjustment; if throttle cable adjustment is too loose, idle speed might be high and inconsistent. If throttle cable adjustment is too tight, control effort might be high through the shifting range.

Shift Cable
  • Move the remote control handle to Neutral (to ensure Neutral detent/lockout engages properly).
  • Then move the remote control handle to full throttle in Forward.
  • Rotate prop shaft & shift OB gearcase into Forward by hand.
  • Attach.
  • Pull firmly on cable casing to remove backlash and adjust cable trunnion nut to locate in anchor pocket.
  • Shift the remote control to Neutral
  • Temporarily (and carefully - DO NOT move anything) remove the shift cable from the motor and verify that the OB gearcase is in its Neutral detent.

Again, this is the OMC way ... but maybe it will help!

1. Thanks.
2. I really hope I didn’t mess things up!
3. I will follow your instructions and see how it goes.
4. I will pray people have done worse and still retained a working outboard!

I may have found the answer, because both of my outboard ends of the cable connections where they were supposed to be. I didn’t have the screws on the control box end of the cable, they were both untightened at the opposite end of the e-clip. Everything else was where it was supposed to be when I pushed the throttle handle and the “clunk” sound when I shifted into forward was gone.
If I can find what I need over the weekend, I’ll drop it into water without a prop. If not, I go down to the lake and try again!
fingers crossed

Latest posts