? Replacing Seal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiverDog357

Reaction score
My 72 Sportwin 9.5 is leaking oil from the propshaft. I ordered a new seal and it should be here in a couple days. My question is how do I get the old one out and put the new one in. Do I have to take anything apart other than take the prop off? How do I get the seal out and do I need any special tools??? I am thinking that I should take a small screwdriver and work the old seal out and just pop the new one on but want to make sure first. I also ordered new seals for the oil fill and check and a new pickup screen cause mine has some kind of black gunk stuck on it and I'm afraid it is blocking water intake. How do I get that old screen out and put the new one in? And would it hurt the motor if I were to put a small fitting in where the water and exhaust shoots out so the water will make a nicer stream. The way it is now it's hard to see if it's coming out and it just blows water everywhere instead of in a nice steady stream like my little Mercury. I was wondering if the added backpressure would mess something up. Sorry such stupid questions but I gotta learn somehow. Thanks fellers!

your going to need to remove the prop shaft to replace the seal. not hard. when its out stick a prybar or screwdriver on the back of the seal and pop it out with a good jerk. when you install it use a socket the same size as the seal so you can tap it in there nice and flush. putting alittle oil around the outside of the seal will help it go in easyer

sorry cant help ya with the water stream. i no some motors pee nice and neat, and some like mine just spray out

How do I go about removing the prop shaft? Being I never messed with an outboard before I'm a bit leary but know I need to pop my cherry sometime. Will I need any gaskets, or rtv? Thanks for the help.

im still new to the outboard terminology, but i think its called the foot. you should be able to get by with just poping that off. id make a gasket or order one before going with rtv but thats just my preference

Can you just use regular gasket material or is there a special kind since it will be underwater? I seen on the parts breakdown there is a gasket rope that a shop would have on a spool and you could buy it by the foot. Not sure if I can get that anywhere local or not but I will start checking around tommorow.

Latest posts