Retired, now where else to fish...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazyboat said:
I know a couple of lakes (more like big ponds) here by me in the meadows, a cut through a graveyard fence, a walk along the railroad tracks and a sidestep through the weeds and you'll be catching 2-3 lb bass, no lic. required. (They've never caught me yet, been doing it 40 years now)

Ha ha... when I lived on salt water the marine patrol guys knew most of the boats and owners and we sometimes chatted about my boat which they LOVED, and I sometimes showed them my fish, but not once was I ever asked for a license. Maybe because we were on familiar terms before the dreaded salt water license fee (which was meant to hire more MP and build hatcheries that never happened) was forced upon us and they just never bothered. Now if you were in a jet ski without a PFD or were operating any vessel impaired they were all over you like flies on poop.

gnappi said:
Crazyboat said:
I know a couple of lakes (more like big ponds) here by me in the meadows, a cut through a graveyard fence, a walk along the railroad tracks and a sidestep through the weeds and you'll be catching 2-3 lb bass, no lic. required. (They've never caught me yet, been doing it 40 years now)

Ha ha... when I lived on salt water the marine patrol guys knew most of the boats and owners and we sometimes chatted about my boat which they LOVED, and I sometimes showed them my fish, but not once was I ever asked for a license. Maybe because we were on familiar terms before the dreaded salt water license fee (which was meant to hire more MP and build hatcheries that never happened) was forced upon us and they just never bothered. Now if you were in a jet ski without a PFD or were operating any vessel impaired they were all over you like flies on poop.
Sucks you've got to pay to fish the salt in Florida, here in NJ no fee just have to register online, just a matter of time until they start adding the fees I'm sure.

most of the saltwater states have two separate licenses one for salt and fresh. I know when the army had me in virginia for a couple months they had a extra license fee for salt water. Didn't bother me two much as it wasn't horribly expensive since being military stationed there I got resident price. I have cousins in Savannah GA and have fished with them before if I remember correctly they didn't have another salt water fee. Maybe they did I can't remember. I know Louisiana has a extra fee for salt water, for non residents the prices are more, but not horrific. For residents it's not bad, and they let military buy licenses at resident cost so when I've gone there I've always just got a season long salt and fresh think it was around 50 or 60. What does Florida charge for a resident fresh and salt license? I can't believe California licenses are so high for residents that horrible.

My feelings towards fishing licenses depend entirely on how the money gets used. I don’t mind money that goes towards conservation or pretty much any purpose that benefits sportsmen and women or wildlife generally.

I tend to be irked when license fees get siphoned off into areas that really should be funded out of general tax revenues, but where people and politicians are too squeamish to acknowledge what things actually cost.

That said, I don’t usually bother to dig into these rather wonky facts because at the end of the day, I’m going to buy the licenses I want if I can afford them, regardless of where that money goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts