Reviving 1982 merc 40hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gps4

Reaction score
I’ve got a 1982 mercury 40hp outboard I’d like to get running again. It’s been sitting up in my garage for 2 years.

I plan to check compression on the cylinders, check for spark, and then remove and clean the carb, and replace water pump impeller.

What if anything do I need to do before I hook up the battery and turn it over to check compression?

Do I need to spray anything in the spark plug holes to lube the cylinders before I try to crank it?

Thanks in advance.

You are on the right track! Put a bit of 2 cycle oil in the cylinders and turn it over. Check compression. Change gear lube./Do your pump. When looking at the pump check for deep scratches in the cup. Anything you can hang a fingernail in ?..... Change the cup or liner. Clean and rebuild the carb. Buy OEM parts where possible. Check the quality of the 40 year old fuel lines....probably best to change them while you are doing the full service. Clean fuel tank and check the hose and primer bulb. Replace with quality components if needed. Pull your prop and check for fish line. Re-gap your plugs, probably no need to change them unless super worn out. Lubricate all the lube ports and do your linkages as well. You pretty much covered all the bases.

Not sure I would do a carb rebuild unless they need it, looks like the rest on your check off list is good. If the motor was cared for, no reason it shouldn't fire up !! Fresh gas and a good oil mix you should be good to go