Rod holders for spinning reels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbeigealot

Reaction score
I wanted to get some rod holders similar to this:

https://www.basspro.com/Scotty-Power-Lock-Rod-Holder/product/20903/-699683

The thing is, I use spinning reels.
Does anyone know if these types of holders work for spinning reels?
I do not want have to turn the reel up to use these.

I use this type for spinning reels while trolling for crappie. Dont use the lock feature however, seems to get in the way. I purchaced my last 4 this spring from cabelas, I think its exactly the same but branded by cabelas. They sold them in a 4 pack for around $ 80. The reels dont face up, however they kind of lay on thier side. Hope this helps. River....

I installed one of the Scotty Power-Loc rod holders on my rig a few years ago. It does well with baitcasters, but not so well with spinning rods, as River mentioned above about them laying on their side sort of. I installed it for my wife (uses baitcasters) who always fishes from the back of the boat, so that she could have an extra rod/line out. The most appropriate place I found to mount it back there was on the port quarter knee brace. I didn't want to use the mounting block it comes with, and ordered the #444 Threaded Flush Deck Mount. It only works if you have easy access to get under the area you're mounting at in order to install the bottom washer/nut. You'll use a hole saw to drill the large center hole, then two holes outside of that. It can be fitted with a drain hose to go to the bilge if needed, and there's a soft-rubber cap that covers the hole when not in use. Below are some pics of my installation:

Holder mounted:
Rod_Holder_Mounted2.JPG

Another view: (that's not a drain hose in the pic. It's the cable from my front tm)
Rod_Holder_Mounted3.JPG

Holder removed, cap in-place:
Rod_Holder_Flush_Mount.JPG

Drawing from the Scotty website of the Flush Deck Mount:
%23444_Compact_Threaded_Deck_Mount~0.jpg

Try this one:
https://www.basspro.com/Attwood-Rod-Holder/product/10205371/-1648859

The lock ring is slotted on the bottom, allowing the handle of a spinning reel to fit with the reel hanging straight down.

Thanks for the replies.
The problem I have now is that my gunnel cap is not wide enough to accomodate the base plate.
I really did not want to screw the plate into the side of the boat, it would be just under the gunnel.
So I'm not sure yet, gonna keep looking.

Waterwings said:
I installed one of the Scotty Power-Loc rod holders on my rig a few years ago. It does well with baitcasters, but not so well with spinning rods, as River mentioned above about them laying on their side sort of. I installed it for my wife (uses baitcasters) who always fishes from the back of the boat, so that she could have an extra rod/line out. The most appropriate place I found to mount it back there was on the port quarter knee brace. I didn't want to use the mounting block it comes with, and ordered the #444 Threaded Flush Deck Mount. It only works if you have easy access to get under the area you're mounting at in order to install the bottom washer/nut. You'll use a hole saw to drill the large center hole, then two holes outside of that. It can be fitted with a drain hose to go to the bilge if needed, and there's a soft-rubber cap that covers the hole when not in use. Below are some pics of my installation:

Holder mounted:
Rod_Holder_Mounted2.JPG

Another view: (that's not a drain hose in the pic. It's the cable from my front tm)
Rod_Holder_Mounted3.JPG

Holder removed, cap in-place:
Rod_Holder_Flush_Mount.JPG

Drawing from the Scotty website of the Flush Deck Mount:
%23444_Compact_Threaded_Deck_Mount~0.jpg

I went ahead and picked up four of the Scotty's.
I will be using a side mount.

check out driftmaster rod holders, a bit pricey but good stuff, have different models for spinning reels. I have several for trolling

Latest posts