Running a 15/20hp 4stroke outboard at wot

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I have been doing a ton of research online about just running 4stroke outboards at wot for long extended periods of time,it seems that most people don't run there 4 strokes at wot for very long because they say the motor was not made to do so.Is that true?If that was the case then why would the operating rpm be between usually 5000-6000rpm.I would think no matter what as long as you don't go over the rpm range you should be able to run wot as long as you want without hurting anything,no?Most of the people also stated that larger 4strokes are usually the ones that shouldn't be run at wot for long extended times,but they said the smaller 4stroke like the 20hp and down are built to be run hard and at wot more then the larger engines should, but the 20hp and down still shouldn't be run hard for extremely long periods of time.

Most of the research i have read states 2strokes are mostly made to run wot for long periods of time,not 4strokes.That just doesn't make any sense to me.Wouldn't that be in the manual if that were the case?I have had quite a few 4stroke outboards with manuals and i have never read a thing like that before thats why i was wondering if anyone could add to this that maybe knows something more.Like i said i would think as long as your in operating rpm range there should be no issues.But i'm sure someone has some knowledge or facts on this i hope anyway.Any info would be great,thanks

I run mine at WOT, 5-6 k is nothing on a motor these days. As long as its under a load it will be fine.

I was "in the loop" when Yamaha tested the F25 (4 stroke 25 HP) before it went into production.

Trust me...6000 RPM for hours on end isn't going to hurt it!! They ran these things for hundreds of hours wide open. Just watch the max RPM and don't exceed the manufacturer's recommendation. If your motor says 6000 max, then keep it around 6000. Not 6500, not 7000. Not 4500. The closer to the max rec. RPM you can run it, the better off it is for the motor.

Latest posts