Scared of commitment!! Guys Please help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D Great info Possom! The Ranch owner told me the boat was from Goose Island Texas and was originally used on the salt flats down there for Sea Trout. As I was pressure washing the slime off, I could see where it faintly said Goose Island, TX in red lettering on the side. I was unable to find any presence of old ID stickers on either side. Can you give me some hints as to where I need to look to locate the hull ID #. I have looked on the back of the transom and a few other areas with no luck. There's no metal ID tags riveted onto it either.

Also, I have no idea what kind of Semi V this is (manufacturer) I've looked at every project on this site and still am unable to find a boat quite like it. What sets it apart is the unique way the bench seats have side handles. Is there a site resource that is helpful to identify older tins? ---I know that may be asking a lot from the internet. But hey it's 2012----There may be hope.

By chance, if I am unable to find a hull ID or serial number for the boat do you know of a process that I can claim "unknown". Possibly have an ID assigned to the thing? I'll probably have to have a conversation with the Texas Parks and Wildlife. Also the Bill of Sale will be simple I do believe. I'll just have the Ranch owner who gave me the tin fill one out with me.

The hyperlinks to the documents you provided were very helpful. I'll go ahead and get the process started by filling everything out. May be simpler than I think. Hopefully it won't involve too much $$.....but you know the TX state department will take what it can, when it can, and how it can.

Any ideas on the location of the Hull ID guys??
How do I Identify this craft??

K so I'm just replying to myself here...I found what type of boat she is. a 1957 Lonestar Commander Semi V

https://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Lonestarb57003.jpg

https://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Lone_Star

If it doesn't have a hull number, you'll have to discuss it with TPWD, but I believe you just have to get it inspected by a Game Warden and they'll issue the boat a number.

Lets break it down. Just a standard plain jane TRACKER Guide V-14 Deep V starts around $1700. Thats just a boat, nothing else, no motor, no troller, no anchor, no trailer, nothing. You had one given to you, so right off the bat your up $1700.

Check for leaks, tally up what it would cost for you to do just the boat, if you want to paint it, deck it, carpet, wireing, seats, battery holder etc..

Once done with that, start looking around for a motor, trailer, trolling motor, anchors, vests etc. Remember, you dont need the best of everything. Take a trolling motor for example. Do you want one that costs $120 or do you want one that costs you $2,000. Want to equip it with a fish finder? Do you want a $120 unit or do you want a $900 unit. This is where the big money comes in and you start watching your price take massive jumps when redoing the boat. Again with the motor, do you want a $150 motor or do you want a $5000 motor?

Like above, you already have the boat so your $1700 ahead. I would look for leaks, then paint, decking and carpeting and wireing. If you spend $1700 on that, you are using way to much of something that shouldnt be on there. I would say around $500 - $600 or around there. Then I would jump to a trolling motor, $200 maybe $300. Battery $90. Anchors $30 x 2. Fish finder, I use myself, but hey, lets say $160. So on and so forth. So right here is somewheres around $1200, by the time your done with lights, vests and whatever, maybe around $1700. Look on craigs lists for a trailer or a boat shop. I wouldnt say more then $300 - $400 for a good used one. Maybe.

So now your at what, $2100 at worst. Now you show me where you can go get all of this on a brand new boat with what you have done for $2100. Brand new from a shop your looking around $9,000 to $15,000. I might be off a little on some of these prices, im just dong it to show you it is way cheaper to do it yourself then buying one from a store. Look around on here, they have some great posts on guys that have redone the tins. Good luck on your project.

Oh, here is the way I look at my time on it. I dont count it as it is my time. I am redoing it for me. If your a business, then that is a different story as you have labor costs etc.. But for yourself, no, dont look at it that way. It is for you so there is no price on your labor for yourself. Otherwise if it takes you 1 year to complete this and you work fevorishly on it for 1 year at $18 an hour, (I wished) your boat would cost so much even you couldnt afford to run it. That would be like a $40,000 boat, and for what? To go out twice a month on it to fish and have a little fun? LOL I would rather take the extra time and do it right the first time then get it almost done and have to redo half of it. Good luck!