Sea Ark 1652-SLD Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Fool4fish!! I've been steadily plugging away at it and it is coming along nicely. This past weekend I was able to get the boat flipped upside down and sanded, washed, and acetoned. My friend and I laid down 2 coats of factory SeaArk OD Green paint and combated the falling pollen and leaves as best we could. While letting the boat dry and harden this week, I was able to get a little trailer maintenance done. I took the axle out and scaled off all the rust and re-painted that. I ran new wires and slapped on some new lights. And I also threw on two new galvanized wheels with new tires. I am currently in the process of fitting all of my gauges and accessories in the console so that its ready to go when we turn the boat back over. Here are a few pics of the progress and there are more to come soon of the console.

Attachments

• Trailer Maintenance 3.JPG
    Trailer Maintenance 3.JPG
    503.8 KB · Views: 665
  • Trailer Maintenance 2.JPG
    Trailer Maintenance 2.JPG
    410.1 KB · Views: 665
  • Trailer Maintenance 1.JPG
    Trailer Maintenance 1.JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 665
  • Parts Painted 3.JPG
    Parts Painted 3.JPG
    540.7 KB · Views: 665
  • Parts Painted 2.JPG
    Parts Painted 2.JPG
    874.1 KB · Views: 665
  • Parts Painted 1.JPG
    Parts Painted 1.JPG
    764.8 KB · Views: 665
  • Fresh Paint 3.JPG
    Fresh Paint 3.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 665
  • Fresh Paint 2.JPG
    Fresh Paint 2.JPG
    788.8 KB · Views: 665
  • Fresh Paint 1.JPG
    Fresh Paint 1.JPG
    637 KB · Views: 665
  • Pre Paint 2.JPG
    Pre Paint 2.JPG
    453.5 KB · Views: 665
  • Pre Paint 1.JPG
    Pre Paint 1.JPG
    408.9 KB · Views: 665
Even being able to hear the plans, see all the new parts, and observe various stages of this build.... I'm still amazed at how kickass this project is turning out! Also, a big thumbs up on how well you have kept the thread updated with progress and pictures. I probably speak for everyone following the build when i say... We appreciate it.

Keep up the good work, brotha!

Even with an outside paint job it turned out great. I had to do the same what a pita, everything seems to be attracted to fresh paint.

Thank you all for the comments. I ordered my console through a local SeaArk dealer. The only other place I know to find side consoles is a place called AK McCallum in NC.

2ndBassendment said:
Hey!!! Slacky Slackerton!!!! Can we get the console complete electrical dry fit and trailer pics? Or would that be too much to ask, lol 8)
Gota love your a-hole buddies......you crack me up 2nd

2ndBassendment said:
Hey!!! Slacky Slackerton!!!! Can we get the console complete electrical dry fit and trailer pics? Or would that be too much to ask, lol 8)

Your right Mr. 2nd.... I have been slacking on the updates. So here's one just for you buddy!

The last week and a half I have been letting the boat sit upside down so that the fresh paint on the bottom has ample time to set up and harden before sliding it back on the trailer bunks. While we were "watching paint dry" I built a little mount for my console on my work table so that I could begin positioning all the electronics. I started by drilling out the holes for the gauges to include the tachometer, fuel, and trim gauges. Then I cut out square holes for two different switch panels, mounted the GPS with RAM mount and installed the radio head unit with splash guard. Basically everything in the console has been mounted and is ready for wiring.

When the boat paint was finally good and hard, I coaxed some friends and family over with beer to help flip her back over onto the trailer. One of the very first things we did once the boat was back upright was set the newly line-x-ed floor back in the boat to check the fit. The fit was good and the coating and appearance were awesome. The next step was to lay the 1 1/2" foam board strips in the boat and spread adhesive silicone to the top of them. We then reinserted the floor and climbed in the boat to put some pressure on the floor. My buddy and I sat in the boat for a half an hour and drank beer and watched YouTube videos while we were "working" as human clamps. I must say, that might have been the most enjoyable project we have worked on so far. So here are a few pictures to validate my story, and I apologize but I don't have one of us drinking beer and laying in the boat pretending to be hard at work.

Attachments

• Floor 3.JPG
    Floor 3.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Floor 2.JPG
    Floor 2.JPG
    770.8 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Floor 1.JPG
    Floor 1.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Floor Foam.JPG
    Floor Foam.JPG
    423.8 KB · Views: 2,033
  • GPS.JPG
    GPS.JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Radio Splash Guard.JPG
    Radio Splash Guard.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Radio and Light.JPG
    Radio and Light.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Trim Control 2.JPG
    Trim Control 2.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Trim Control 1.JPG
    Trim Control 1.JPG
    619.1 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Console Dryfit 3.JPG
    Console Dryfit 3.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Console Dryfit 2.JPG
    Console Dryfit 2.JPG
    400.9 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Console Dryfit 1.JPG
    Console Dryfit 1.JPG
    519.6 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Trailer Finished 3.JPG
    Trailer Finished 3.JPG
    919.5 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Trailer Finished 2.JPG
    Trailer Finished 2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2,033
  • Trailer Finished 1.JPG
    Trailer Finished 1.JPG
    598.3 KB · Views: 2,033
vahunter said:
Lookin good! That line-x looks great! Mind if I ask how much the line-x ran you?

Sure, I was quoted $150 but that was basically for one coat of line-x. I anticapated the line-x to be about 1/8" thick when doing all my cutting and fitting and I found out that a single coat is closer to 1/32"-1/16". When I dropped it off I asked for an extra coat of line-x for extra thickness and also for durability and the price ended up being $180. I really like the way it turned out and think it was money well spent. Hope that helps VAhunter.

I too have a question! What exactly did you use for the seat reinforcements? I have a factory aluminum flat floor and it just isn't very thick. My seat pulls on the floor in a way I don't like.

wcbond4 said:
I too have a question! What exactly did you use for the seat reinforcements? I have a factory aluminum flat floor and it just isn't very thick. My seat pulls on the floor in a way I don't like.

The seat reinforcements that I am using are 1/8" thick aluminum and are very sturdy in my opinion. If you were to bolt or rivet them to your floor (preferably bolt), I think it would help firm things up. I bought my reinforcement plates from AK McCallum online and I think they were about $15-20 a piece. You could probably find a metal shop that's local and they can cut you a 14"x17" piece of .125 (1/8") aluminum and just bend an edge down about 1 inch. Hope this helps!

I found a local shop here and I got 19x19x1/8 diamond plate for 10 bucks each! And I got a mounting bracket for my TM! Thanks for you reply. I plan on riveting the heck out of mine! I can't bolt :(

wcbond4 said:
I found a local shop here and I got 19x19x1/8 diamond plate for 10 bucks each! And I got a mounting bracket for my TM! Thanks for you reply. I plan on riveting the heck out of mine! I can't bolt :([/quote

Sounds like a heck of a deal!!! My only suggestions would be: 1. Rivet close to the edges so that you don't get any upward flex on the corners which will cause pinch points. 2. Use aluminum rivets if your diamond plate is aluminum. 3. Use a big rivet like 3/16" or bigger. Good luck

So this week was all about getting the inside of the boat done and painted. So far I have gotten everything primed with two coats of the recommended wash primer, one light coat of reduced color, and installed the rear console area. I was also able to get my hatch liners foamed into place and attach the hatch doors. As you can see from the pictures below, I have been busy. The plan for today is to get the final two coats of color on the boat so that next week is all about assembling and wiring. Lots of pictures will be coming soon because I have a feeling it is going to come together quickly during the assembly stage. Here a some pictures of this weeks work.

Attachments

• Seams Fixed 2.JPG
    Seams Fixed 2.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Seams Fixed 1.JPG
    Seams Fixed 1.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Fixing Seams 2.JPG
    Fixing Seams 2.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Fixing Seams 1.JPG
    Fixing Seams 1.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Rear Assembled 3.JPG
    Rear Assembled 3.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Rear Assembled 2.JPG
    Rear Assembled 2.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Rear Assembled 1.JPG
    Rear Assembled 1.JPG
    542.1 KB · Views: 1,969
  • My Buddy.JPG
    My Buddy.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Boat Primed 4.JPG
    Boat Primed 4.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Boat Primed 3.JPG
    Boat Primed 3.JPG
    433.7 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Boat Primed 2.JPG
    Boat Primed 2.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Boat Primed 1.JPG
    Boat Primed 1.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Boat Taped Off.JPG
    Boat Taped Off.JPG
    468.4 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Paint Booth.JPG
    Paint Booth.JPG
    348.1 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Hatch Liners Foamed In.JPG
    Hatch Liners Foamed In.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 1,969
Really love what you are doing and have planned with this boat, very classic layout, only thing I'd have done different is center console but that's half a dozen one, half a dozen another...keep up the good work!

As always cold beer, tight lines, and Go Gators!

my build https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25183