Sealant after replacement of Foam

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishingman48

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
OK gent's & lady's, I am on my way back to being a boat owner again & not a repair shop! LOL!
I have to admit, a def. work out for a handicap person, My Dr. stated as long as not straining myself and taking my time a
good way to keep thing's moving and functional. However, we have come to part where foam is reinstalled and of course some had to be removed due to a bit too much not a lot but had to be shaven down, to allow for side boards to be replaced. Now I was looking for some type of sealant. to put on the cut side/ topside of foam for protection.
Now i know i need to watch the chemical composition / as to not use anything which may have something in it which will break down the foam.
The thing is I used closed cell board foam & also used to fill in gaps and all 2-part liquid foam which worked out great & I know polyurethane spray can be used on the board but is the 2 part pour foam "chemical composition" the same as the foam board?
Now i was thinking of using the stuff out on market FLEX SEAL SPRAY > BLACK RUBBER SEALANT / IF ANY ONE HAS USED ?

If you are worried about sealing then epoxy should work fine. With a glass micro-bead filler it‘s quite lightweight too. The filler can be mixed in until you have a workable paste to minimize running on vertical surfaces.

Closed cell foam should not absorb any water.... besides .... how much is too much trouble?? Don't overthink/ overdo as we often do...
So, you think I should just leave it alone? I know the 2 parts when cured leaves a film on outer crust which to my understanding is a protectant shield, however when broken does it not allow water to seep in-between cell's if there are micro air pockets? & I also found out the "Flex Seal Spray" {{cannot be used as it will affect the foam}} so that's out but was informed to used *Polyurethane Spray* on both. I got through to manufacturer of the two-part Foam and since it is urethane based & so is the board, however! two parts pour foam chemical is diff than board & I have kind of been one who tends to be prepared for anything and at time's well needless to say yup over do!
But have found a few times "the overdo" it's come in handy. /
However! I do have a Q.> The previous foam in boat prior to being stripped down & cleaned out, is this not closed cell foam? or back in late 80's did they use something diff.? It was obviously some type of two-part foam system, but def. not waterproof.
If it was & closed cell foam does not absorb water, why did this foam do so? I could squeeze the water out of old foam like sponge & pushing on molds before removal with finger water would puddle up in the dent left behind & this foam was no way near as tight, 1/2 way into what I would call block core was dry, but 3 to 4 inches OUTSIDE IN was what I call "soggy" two-tone color of yellow like two parts, but interior was light almost white. I have seen this foam before in item's certain manufactures used so item was set in-place in carton's / item would not move around. Now way I am taking the way it was all set up it was all done by manufacturer, as seems nothing really messed with except seeing live well not hooked up or was disconnected as aerator & pump in place.
I also found some reading on some manufactures were really not too picky when came to using certain materials to get boats out on to the show room, like some did use pressure treated wood for transom's, keel's and use other thing's which kind of didn't last very long on boat only a couple yrs. & then had to be replaced. Just wondering if this was case with this boat? & it's foam the deck I could see as not kept clean of debris for draining and some water did accumulate in stern to cause end of deck to start to rot was spongy / on a 35 yr. Mirror 14'v-hull modify. old tin /

Last edited:
If you are worried about sealing then epoxy should work fine. With a glass micro-bead filler it‘s quite lightweight too. The filler can be mixed in until you have a workable paste to minimize running on vertical surfaces.
Thanks for the reply! I did however get ahold of manufacturer of 2-part Foam & seems urethane is part of composition so a can of Minwax Polyurethane Spray would work just fine. I was going to do the epoxy if I couldn't do the "flex seal" which I found out also {cannot be used} It will affect the foam& break it down.

Does your boat leak that bad as to saturate the foam?? Why not fix the leaks? My boat is a 1992, never sits out when not in use, doesn't leak, foam is dry as toast and all original.

Thanks for the reply! I did however get ahold of manufacturer of 2-part Foam & seems urethane is part of composition so a can of Minwax Polyurethane Spray would work just fine. I was going to do the epoxy if I couldn't do the "flex seal" which I found out also {cannot be used} It will affect the foam& break it down.
Probably easier. Good luck.

Does your boat leak that bad as to saturate the foam?? Why not fix the leaks? My boat is a 1992, never sits out when not in use, doesn't leak, foam is dry as toast and all original.
I think you miss understood , The previous owner had died & boat was left outside when I bought it , I was informed by a friend and his father to make sure all was intact for use as far as floatation went, when doing so and reading some post here I choose to check out the foam as the floor I knew once walking around had to be removed & replaced I found the foam to be semi soggy 'Yeah" But not to the neglect of me , no, no ,no, no/ I just want to make sure all is intact before i used , & I reinstall the side boards which goes on top of the foam & want it water proof between top boards & foam on the I guess you would call them side channels. the one's which I had to refill.

Attachments

• IMG_20231003_155636336_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231003_155636336_HDR.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 2
I think you miss understood , The previous owner had died & boat was left outside when I bought it , I was informed by a friend and his father to make sure all was intact for use as far as floatation went, when doing so and reading some post here I choose to check out the foam as the floor I knew once walking around had to be removed & replaced I found the foam to be semi soggy 'Yeah" But not to the neglect of me , no, no ,no, no/ I just want to make sure all is intact before i used , & I reinstall the side boards which goes on top of the foam & want it water proof between top boards & foam on the I guess you would call them side channels. the one's which I had to refill.
I see, if you use the pink/ blue insulation boards, they don't soak up water, even the exposed edges...