Searching for new spinning rod, opinions please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbronzeback

Reaction score
Ok, so i would like to spend 50 to 80$ on a new spinning rod. I throw a lot of cranks like bandit 200's and sometimes shad raps for smallies on the St. Joe River in michigan. I have 5 decent setups but would like to buy a little better rod. Is a fenwick eagle gt, st. croix triumph worth it. Or is there something in that price range i am missing. What do you guys think?
Rods i have
7M Cabelas Classic with Shimano Slade
6.5MH Cabelas Classic with Shimano Slade
7M Pflueger Trion with Shimano Solstace
7M Field and Stream Rod with Shakespeare Excursion
7M Berkley Lightning Rod Pro with Daiwa Crossfire 3ia

I personally don't think you could go wrong with a St. Croix Triumph...I think really nice rods for the money.

Look for a used rod - if you go St. Croix at least a Premier series

Shimano has some really nice rods out there - get a 6' 6" ML fast and you are set

Captain Ahab said:

Shimano has some really nice rods out there - get a 6' 6" ML fast and you are set
Aren't the premier and triumph all built on the same blanks?

slim357 said:
Captain Ahab said:

Aren't the premier and triumph all built on the same blanks?

You are correct - I meant to say Avid Series

YOu should try the new skeet reese rods, I have heard many great things about them. But I would also consider a mojo bass rod from St.Croix. I have had tons of luck with those rods

Ended up ordering a Fenwick Eagle Gt 7ft medium. Got it for 50 bucks on ebay brand new model. Cant realy spend 80 to 100 on a rod and if i like this i can get another one. Will test it out soon and let everyone know what i think. Thanks for the responses even though i didnt buy anything mentioned. Should be quite an upgrade from im used to. Anybody have one?

Latest posts