Seat base question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Gehring

Reaction score
base.jpg
Does anybody know if it's possible to use this seat base on the front deck of a 2011 Alumacraft MV 1756 AW? I already have the pedestal from my last boat and don't want to buy another one if this one will work. I'll have to cut a 3 3/4" hole in the deck to insert the base but I'm not sure if there is bracing under the center of the deck that would cause problems.

Anybody have any ideas?

Not familiar with that particular model boat but in this case a boat is a boat.

You'll need access to the underside of the deck in order to inspect for any bracing and flotation as well as installing some form of backing plate and under deck fasteners.

Installing an access hatch or inspection port may be more work than you had in mind but it's about the only way for a proper installation.

I've installed a lot of seats and each installation always has it's surprises.

Seats on a boat take up way too much room, are always in the way, are too heavy, and too expensive...in my opinion.

Ask yourself...do you really need a seat?

Rod
Oriental, NC

Rod, if you've installed a lot of seats, maybe you can answer this question: How long are the 3/4" pins on a pedestal? I'm going to install a pedestal on my jon boat but don't know how much space I need under the flat floor I installed last year. Online they look like they're about 3 or 3 1/2" long. Do you know? How about anyone else?

You have a Bass Pro close by you can go look at one?

Thanks for the replies. I can't get the deck off because it's welded. I could do the inspection port but am afraid all I'll be able to see under the front deck is foam possibly. I never sit on a folding seat but use a bike seat when I vertical jig rivers for walleyes using 2 rods at a time, one in each hand. Trying to fight the wind with the boat bouncing up and down and still keep the boat in position with the trolling motor for vertical jigging is much easier when leaning back on the bike seat to maintain balance.

I don't have any dealers close by that could help out either. Maybe I'll give Alumacraft a call and see if they can advise where the deck bracing is located.

Thanks again.

Latest posts