Shakedown run

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKBirddog

Reaction score
And I forgot the camera again.....doh. Planned on taking the new to me boat out yesterday, but got pulled into a kid's fishing derby for the outfit my wife works for. Had a blast, they stocked a 3/4 acre pond with a lot more channel cats than the pond can hold and turned the kids loose. They didn't stock dink kitty fish either, these bad boys were anyplace between 1 lb and 2.5 lbs. Kida had a blast, I was the "official" weigher I put a lot of miles on the tennie runners up,down and around the pond. I young lad of 4 years old won the catch of the day with a 2 lb 5 oz channel.

Now to the shakedown run that was put off until today. Ran up to my old home town, got the new bunks on the boat, boat back on the trailer and the newly repaired motor on the boat, got everything latched down, grabbed a couple of poles, some bait and dad and off to the lake we went.
We got the old gal in the water, fired the engine up and away we went. Now major issues, got a few rivets that are seeping a little bit, nothing that a little bucking and some waterweld won't fix, but other then that no big issues. The 15 foot boat handles the 25hp motor much better than the old 14 footer did. We were able to run the engine full throttle with no worries about turning the boat turtle. Boat jumps up on plane and runs like a spotted ape. We ran it up and down the the lake a mile or 2 a couple of times just to blow the cobs out of it then shut her down for a little drift fishing. The operative word here is fishing, we didn't catch squat, as a matter of fact I don't think we even got a bite in the 3 hours we were out. Headed back to the ramp, loaded her up and headed to the house none the worse for wear.

I will probably be looking for a different trailer for the old girl, I think the one she is sitting on is built for a 14' boat and it is I think a touch narrow. But it will work for the time being until I stumble onto a good deal on a longer/wider trailer.

Any tips on bucking rivets?

Thanks

Good deal.Sounds like a good outing,even without the catch.If your rivets have a flat head use a large flat face hammer against the head.A small peen hammer to flatten the end.I really don't like using hammers on the round head rivets.They will sometimes curly back around the edges because there is not support with out a bucking bar.Hope this helps.

and runs like a spotted ape
Never heard that one before,glad everything went well.