Single battery setup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbeau

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m trying to wrap up some final items on my 14/40 Jon build and looking for recommendations for a single battery setup. Trying to keep it safe, simple, and convenient.

I understand the advantages of a two battery system, but have reasons to keep it down to one if possible: This is a super light boat and I only troll calmer waters. Typically only use TM setting #1 or #2. I’ve never depleted a battery while trolling. There’s also insufficient room in my compartment for another battery. And of course I would like to keep both the weight and cost at a minimum.

Here’s the electric components I’m using, or considering:
-Engine is 20HP Merc 4 stroke electric start. The engine also has a typical alternator sys that charges the battery while running.
-Trolling motor is 45lb thrust MotorGuide X3
-Deep cycle marine battery. 1,000 CCA
-Very basic fish finder
-Want to incorporate a shut off switch that disconnects everything when not in use.
-Add a pigtail for charging.
-Add a circuit breaker for the TM.
-Possibly add some small LED lights in the future.

Here’s my concerns:
-The trolling motor manual says not to connect a fish finder or other electronic equipment to the trolling battery because of interference. I’ve already been doing this and haven’t noticed anything abnormal yet, but still a concern.
- I don’t know what I don’t know! 🤣

Any recommendations or precautions on how to lay this out?

Thanks..

The trolling motor has the potential of generating electrical noise that could interfere with the fish finder. If it has not been a problem already, then you are probably Ok. I ran the FF on my electric kayak from a small motorcycle size LiFe battery and it worked great.

Lots of things are a possibility, doesn't mean it will happen. If you get some interference, there are things that can be done to help that. CCA means nothing, you need a deep cycle battery with at least a 100 ah rating, this will give you a long slow discharge for your equipment. While your outboard may put a charge in your deep cycle, it would be better to keep it on a maintainer/ charger when not in use. Keeping that battery full as soon as you can will add to its life. Fast charging off an alternator only may not be the best thing for long life and 100% battery charge.
I am no electrician by any means but wiring simple 12v circuit and adding some inline fuses is pretty easy. Don't waste your time with circuit breakers, just add an inline fuse for each item, then carry a small container of spares in what ever rating you have. That is how my boat is layed out from the factory. A master on/ off to isolate the battery is a good idea, that way no parasitic draws to drain your battery..

Good ideas, thanks. For clarification, I’m not attempting to keep the battery charged by the outboard’s alternator. It’s just a fact that the alternator does provide some charging during normal use. I am planning to install a pigtail for external trickle charging after each use.
Actually it’s probably not a great idea to put too much of a demand (low battery) on the alternator regularly. If I were anticipating that I’d definitely run a 2nd battery for trolling.

Good ideas, thanks. For clarification, I’m not attempting to keep the battery charged by the outboard’s alternator. It’s just a fact that the alternator does provide some charging during normal use. I am planning to install a pigtail for external trickle charging after each use.
Actually it’s probably not a great idea to put too much of a demand (low battery) on the alternator regularly. If I were anticipating that I’d definitely run a 2nd battery for trolling.
Look for a battery maintainer/ charger for your battery. I switched to these about 15 years back and they have definetly given more life to my batteries. At that time, I had three batteries in my motorhome, three in my boat, my side by side and my lawn mower !! All the batteries performed better after using the maintainer feature on the chargers and extended the average life ...

Hello,

I’m trying to wrap up some final items on my 14/40 Jon build and looking for recommendations for a single battery setup. Trying to keep it safe, simple, and convenient.

I understand the advantages of a two battery system, but have reasons to keep it down to one if possible: This is a super light boat and I only troll calmer waters. Typically only use TM setting #1 or #2. I’ve never depleted a battery while trolling. There’s also insufficient room in my compartment for another battery. And of course I would like to keep both the weight and cost at a minimum.

Here’s the electric components I’m using, or considering:
-Engine is 20HP Merc 4 stroke electric start. The engine also has a typical alternator sys that charges the battery while running.
-Trolling motor is 45lb thrust MotorGuide X3
-Deep cycle marine battery. 1,000 CCA
-Very basic fish finder
-Want to incorporate a shut off switch that disconnects everything when not in use.
-Add a pigtail for charging.
-Add a circuit breaker for the TM.
-Possibly add some small LED lights in the future.

Here’s my concerns:
-The trolling motor manual says not to connect a fish finder or other electronic equipment to the trolling battery because of interference. I’ve already been doing this and haven’t noticed anything abnormal yet, but still a concern.
- I don’t know what I don’t know! 🤣

Any recommendations or precautions on how to lay this out?

Thanks..
I run a 1448 Lund Jon with a 40 lb Minn Kota single 90 amp hour battery.
Battery is mounted in front with long # 6 gauge cables running to engine.
I have 2 sonar units (Lowrance Hook 7 and a small Lowrance up front ).
Have an installed terminal box in rear that I run accessories from (bilge lights etc).
Haven’t had any interference issues .
I can run the TM all day and hardly ever need much of a charge .
Main engine is a 25 Suzuki with electric start. I believe it has a 14 amp alternator.

Lake report. All worked well. I put a resettable 60a circuit breaker near the battery box. That pretty much takes care of shutting off the system without installing a “dedicated” shutoff switch. Made for a nice day of jon boating at this remote Arkansas lake!
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8329.jpeg
    IMG_8329.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 0
Good move. My bigger boat has breaker on the accessory battery and another trolling motor batteries. I use the later as a disconnect to prevent the heading puck from discharging the battery. The trolling batteries don’t get disconnected because the trolling motor gets unplugged at the bow. I intend to add an emergency disconnect on the starting battery before next season.

Latest posts