SlowRollin's 16' Monark project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowRollin'

Reaction score
This is my first boat...so here it goes.

I was on the fence about getting this boat until I found this site. Three days straight of reading through the other Mod's and I was hooked. Wife was wanting a ski/family boat, but my funds were wanting something more practical. Actually, I was shopping for a kayak and this boat cost about the same as my rig would've cost.

I have a 1993 Monark with a 1993 Mariner. I picked it up late Friday night on the 4th and completed the Registration/Title work Monday morning. Now the fun begins.

I'll try to post the pics I have so far and we'll see what happens. The first thing I had to do was remove the plexiglass windshield on the Center Console to fit in my garage (can you believe the wifey didn't want anyone to see it in it's current state?). Wait until she figures out I have to tow it with her Navigator; I sure can't tow it with my Mustang!

So, I'm trying to strip it bare and build a something the four of us can sit in, pull the 9yr old on is knee board, and enjoy fishing with my boys either in the Galveston Bays or the local Lakes around Houston.

I'm down to removing the outboard and deciding if I'm going to cut out the rear bench seat and cut into the huge bow decking...

Attachments

• DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 1,424
  • DSCF0020.JPG
    DSCF0020.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 1,424
  • DSCF0039.JPG
    DSCF0039.JPG
    515.7 KB · Views: 1,424
Finally hit bottom. I think the previous owners were trying to see how many screws they could install and still keep her afloat.

Tonight, plans are to disconnect outboard controls and remove motor. Then move to saw horses and start sanding the bottom.

On the trailer, I need to replace some bad bunks and some rusted bolts. Then, back to the boat. I need to swallow some courage and get to cutting on the inside... :oops:

Attachments

• DSCF0049.JPG
    DSCF0049.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 1,365
  • DSCF0051.JPG
    DSCF0051.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 1,365
  • DSCF0050.JPG
    DSCF0050.JPG
    513.9 KB · Views: 1,365
Nice ride slowrollin', she'll be a sweet and stable platform on the water. What size mariner are you adding to the back?

I have a 40hp Magnum...I have no idea what that means. It's a 1993 motor that the oiler went out and toasted it. The guy I bought it from just rebuilt the motor and removed the oil injection, so now I mix. I actually prefer it that way.

The rebuilt motor has about 3hrs on it. Starts up quick, runs plenty well for this little 16 footer.

Attachments

• DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 1,319
Thanks for the replies. Dyeguy1212, I sent you a pm.

Question I had was, what are the two angle brackets for in the transom hull? Between those two and the triangle L support bracket, dirt and water sets up there when washing down. Just wondering if they're there for just support or have some other use?

Progress is slow, but making headway.

I finally disconnected the outboard and mounted it for sand and paint. Cleaned all of the oil and dirt off with Brake Cleaner and peeled off the decals. Need to sand it and lay down the first layer of Etching Primer. Will start on it tomorrow.

Leak checked the boat. Only two rivets leaking was the good news. The bad, I have some corrosion damage from the worn out bunks on both sides of the hull. Port side actually has a pin hole which is where the majority of the leaking was coming from.

Is this something I can JB weld on the inside and Steelflex the outer hull to seal this hole up, or do I need to an aluminum fabricator and get the hole patched?

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    381.1 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    491.8 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 1,147
Got back from Cancer Prevention Center around 2pm and went to work on my little project.

Sanded the outboard and applied two coats of self-etching primer. Painted a small cover that sits just below the cowl. Wanted to start with something small in case I bombed; I've never painted anything before.

Probably apply one coat of paint on the outboard and then call it a night.

I applied some JB Weld to the small craters where the bunks rotted a few small areas on the hull. Plan is to sand them smooth and apply a small piece of tin over it to seal the small leak and prevent further damage - atleast for now. I want to seal the patch and rivet it in. Apply sealant on the inside as well. If it still leaks then I'll throw up the flag and just get a bigger bilge pump. :cry:

Should be fine, it was just a pin hole leak. I applied the weld to all four areas that had small rot craters. I'm going to steelflex the bottom once I figure out what color I want. It should be good.

Wish me luck!

T.

Attachments

• DSCF0032.JPG
    DSCF0032.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 1,084
  • DSCF0033.JPG
    DSCF0033.JPG
    319.5 KB · Views: 1,084
  • DSCF0027.JPG
    DSCF0027.JPG
    486.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 1,084
  • DSCF0073.JPG
    DSCF0073.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 1,084
  • DSCF0087.JPG
    DSCF0087.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 1,084
  • DSCF0080.JPG
    DSCF0080.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 1,084
Thread digging here, but I have a question about your Jon boat. I have one identical to it only a year newer. I seen that it had/has a mount for a seat on the front deck. I was wondering if you use that and how well it works for you? I'm really wanting to put a foot controlled trolling motor on it and was worried there wasn't enough deck space to do it. Thanks.

Latest posts