So what motor is it actually ??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21075

Reaction score
Bought a Jon setup recently that has "I was told" a 1994 Johnson Tiller outboard. Upon doing the typical titling and registration I check the Serial number and Model number on the tag that is attached to the mounting bracket and it gets confusing. Model number -J35R(1orI)CND indicates a 1982 35 hp. It's hood and engine are obvious to be a 15 not a 35. Am I safe to assume that at some point the mounting bracket was scavenged for my setup (if that's even possible) or if that isn't possible, do you think the tag was just put on here for some reason? Thanks for any insight

Hood shows a production date of 1994 and a 15 hp Johnson and model number shows a 1982 35 hp Johnson. Obviously not a 35 hp........

Attachments

• 1994 Johnson 003.JPG
    1994 Johnson 003.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,316
  • 1994 Johnson 002.JPG
    1994 Johnson 002.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,316
  • 1994 Johnson 001.JPG
    1994 Johnson 001.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,316
  • 1994 Johnson 004.JPG
    1994 Johnson 004.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,316
  • 1994 Johnson 005.JPG
    1994 Johnson 005.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,316
  • 1994 Johnson 008.JPG
    1994 Johnson 008.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,316
  • 1994 Johnson 007.JPG
    1994 Johnson 007.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,316
As I stated I felt that was obvious. But having the tag on the bracket showing a 1982 35 hp I wondered if the brackets were interchangeable between a 15hp and a 35hp??

misunderstood said:
As I stated I felt that was obvious. But having the tag on the bracket showing a 1982 35 hp I wondered if the brackets were interchangeable between a 15hp and a 35hp??
No way ...

Check the power head, as sometimes a freeze plug was marked w/ the model number. The 'R' means rope start, but boy ... that's a major typo; i.e., 35 vs 15!

DaleH said:
misunderstood said:
No way ...

Check the power head, as sometimes a freeze plug was marked w/ the model number. The 'R' means rope start, but boy ... that's a major typo; i.e., 35 vs 15!

Thanks, I'll check when I get a chance but the year is off too. Tag on Bracket shows code for a 1982 and hood shows label with production date of 1994. Photos online show mine looking like a 1994. Crazy......

DaleH said:
misunderstood said:
No way ...

Agreed,

I got Evinrude to id my 1993 30HP using the serial stamped on the starboard bracket (not the tag on the port side, a serial is stamped directly into the starboard bracket itself), photos, and the freeze plug number. The tag on the port bracket was corroded off. As many people are aware, Evinrude and Johnson were exactly the same for many years prior to OMC/BRP eliminating the Johnson lineup.

Called Evinrude, and they first gave me the phone number of the grand-nephew of the founder of Evinrude "for vintage support". After he couldn't help, Evinrude/BRP told me to send photos of motor, powerhead with hood off, and freeze plug; and a request for motor id. Approx. 24 hours later they id'd the motor with model number and year. The email address for this service is:
[email protected]

You might just try calling Evinrude to start: 1-844-345-4BRP (4277), but in the future I'm going to go to the email request straight off.

My guess is that the bracket was certainly swapped out, and the tag does not apply to the motor at all. The bracket looks like the heavier one used for 20HP and some higher, but I'm not positive. If the bracket was swapped, the starboard bracket probably was too (that serial number would not apply as well). Somebody will be using my 1993 Evinrude bracket id on their motor as I'm parting this one out.

renn90 said:
DaleH said:
misunderstood said:
No way ...

Agreed,

I got Evinrude to id my 1993 30HP using the serial stamped on the starboard bracket (not the tag on the port side, a serial is stamped directly into the starboard bracket itself), photos, and the freeze plug number. The tag on the port bracket was corroded off. As many people are aware, Evinrude and Johnson were exactly the same for many years prior to OMC/BRP eliminating the Johnson lineup.

Called Evinrude, and they first gave me the phone number of the grand-nephew of the founder of Evinrude "for vintage support". After he couldn't help, Evinrude/BRP told me to send photos of motor, powerhead with hood off, and freeze plug; and a request for motor id. Approx. 24 hours later they id'd the motor with model number and year. The email address for this service is:
[email protected]

You might just try calling Evinrude to start: 1-844-345-4BRP (4277), but in the future I'm going to go to the email request straight off.

My guess is that the bracket was certainly swapped out, and the tag does not apply to the motor at all. The bracket looks like the heavier one used for 20HP and some higher, but I'm not positive. If the bracket was swapped, the starboard bracket probably was too (that serial number would not apply as well). Somebody will be using my 1993 Evinrude bracket id on their motor as I'm parting this one out.
Thanks as you have answered my question. I felt the bracket was for a bigger motor and that is the confusion but knew someone here would know if it was a possibility to use the heavier bracket on a smaller motor. Thanks too for the info to track it down. I know it's a 1994 15 hp previous 2 owners who had work done on it. Stupid ky wants too much info for titling and registration and afraid it will get kicked back.

Took me awhile to get to looking at the freeze plug. Shows G3636237 Probably take me even longer to figure out what info this actually reveals............

Brackets between the 9.9-15 and the 35hp do not come up as being interchangeable. I got interested in this discussion and looked at part numbers which I am surprised has not been done yet.
In looking at the engine in question it looks to have been repainted? If so the ID tag has no marks on it from being taped off from the photo anyway. Looks to me like the tag came off another engine and was placed on the 15hp. Not impossible to do.
You are most welcome to do your own research into the part numbers and draw your own conclusions.