Starting on my 1436 Tracker - updated with pics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a new 1436 Tracker about a month ago. I've already taken it out several times with my Dad and my kids and it's been a blast! The only issues I noticed were the battery in the back (lack of room for my 29 size battery and box) and the seat clamp I have just doesn't stay put. I've already moved the battery to behind the middle bench seat so the top can go on the box (and the kids use it as a foot stool while fishin). To remedy the seat clamp issue, I want to install carpeted decks on the back and middle bench seats and then build a small deck on the front to increase the sitting room (my Dad usually fishes in the front with one of my 3 kids in the middle). I also want to put a carpeted deck between the back and middle seats to level the floor and prevent slipping for the kids. I've already gotten a ton of ideas reading through all of the mod posts and I can't wait to get started, but the biggest question I have is what size plywood do I need to use? I want it to be sturdy, but I also don't want any unnecessary weight. This is my first mod, so any help you all can provide will surely save me from doing things twice! Thanks.

new tracker.jpg

Im 240lbs, and I used 2x2's for framing and 1/2" ply for decking. No probs. Lots have used 1/2", but some people are set on 3/4", which adds weight. Just remember your widest span is really not that wide and with framing, its very solid.

I've finished the framing on the back seats and installed my first run of carpet. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Here are a few pictures of my progress. Hopefully, I will get to carpet the middle seat tonight and work on the front deck the rest of the week. I haven't taken it out in two weeks, so I have to get to a good stopping point by Friday so I can go fishing Saturday! This is my first build, so let me know what you guys think so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 2,815
  • IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG
    314.7 KB · Views: 2,815
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 2,815
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 2,815
  • IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 2,815
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 2,815
  • IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 2,815
  • IMG_1072.JPG
    IMG_1072.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 2,815
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 2,815
Very nice work, looks like you've done that before. Congrats, will make the boat more enjoyable for sure.

I got the cupholders at a local West Marine store. I have a couple more to install but I will be sure to pick up a hole saw bit before I install them....let's just say carpet can hide alot!

Nice looking work! In late 2010 I had the exact same boat and trailer (https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16622). Over time, I wound up with massive leaks from cracks around the rivets near the trailer bunks. This was due to a combination of a thin hull, added weight, bumpy roads and narrow bunks.
I just wanted to give you a heads up and suggest that you modify the bunks to distribute the boat's weight as much as possible. I made bunks that were t-shaped (2 x 4
vertical with a carpeted 2 x 6 horizontal) that helped and was pretty inexpensive to do.

Don't mean to be doom and gloomy, just sharing what I went through with the same boat and trailer. Hope it does not repeat with you. And once again, nice job on your build!

Thanks Earlo, your build was one of several that I studied before I began on mine, so thanks for the ideas (and pictures)! I also noticed that you had the same trailer and appreciate your warning on the bunks. Currently, I have a carpeted 2x4x10 vertically on each side of the trailer. I originally did this with the thought of distributing the weight over a larger area rather than the small 2' or 3' bunks that came with the trailer. The one mistake I made when I put them in was I used pressure treated 2x4's and then read on here that's a no no with tin boats, so I have non pt 2x4's laying beside the trailer right now that I'm going to replace them with. Even though I have the carpet on the PT one's I figured better safe than sorry and I'm only out 10 bucks or so for the PT ones. Based on your comments, I'm gonna pick up a couple 2x6x10's and add them on when I replace the PT ones for good measure. Thanks for the tip!

You said had the same boat, were the leaks bad enough you got rid of it or did you just find a new project to tackle?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319471#p319471 said:
fishin_with_my_kids » 55 minutes ago[/url]"]

You said had the same boat, were the leaks bad enough you got rid of it or did you just find a new project to tackle?

"Had" is correct. I patched the cracks, painted it with steel flex, and that helped for a while, but the leaks kept coming back. I also wanted to get something wider and more stable. I bought a Weldbilt 1448 with a modified v-hull. The aluminum is almost twice as thick, the width of the boat makes it much more stable and I also was able to order it built to my needs – no center bench, 4 ft. front deck, etc. All I did to it was add a small raised deck the front to mount the trolling motor, light and fish finder to ( and to also conceal all the wiring for those) and I put a floor in it. I've had it since January and it's been great. It can be seen here: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29125

I also learned about the treated wood issue here (and about a thousand other things) and had to redo some bunks. Sounds like you have a plan - good luck with it!

Nice boat, I'll add that to my list to look at for my next purchase. This is my 1st jon boat (we had a ski and small house boat before the kids, lol) and I was worried about the size at first, but it is perfect to take myself, one of my kids and my dad out, but I'm gonna need to get a little bigger in a couple of years. My kids are 8, 5 and 5 (twin boys) so we will outgrow this one soon and I was thinking of a 1448 or 1648 for my next one.

Did you keep the same trailer for the 1448 or did you have to get a new one?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319504#p319504 said:
fishin_with_my_kids » Today, 09:11[/url]"]Nice boat, ...

Did you keep the same trailer for the 1448 or did you have to get a new one?

Thanks. I kept the same trailer, just made some slight modifications to it. I had already put bigger wheels and better hubs on it, as well as side guides made from a ladder brace. Had to widen the guides for the new boat. FYI- a home depot extension ladder brace is the perfect width and angle for the boat that you have. Bolt on the trailer and add some pvc guides. Lots cheaper than marine store guides and really handy in the wind. I also wound up putting my lights in the pvc guides to get them out of the water. See attached.

Not sure where you are in Georgia, but there's a great dealership near Huntsville Alabama whenever you get to a point of upgrading: https://www.backwoodslanding.com. I got mine in East Texas.

Attachments

• P1010932.JPG
    P1010932.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 2,677
Thanks for the ladder idea, I had been thinking about how to mount guides. The only problem I have found is that you cannot see the trailer behind you when the boat is not on it, so guides are needed.

I did get to do a little more work this weekend. I finished the top of the middle seat and made two small compartments for storage. Honestly, I got in a hurry (and the kids were helping) with carpeting the first hatch and forgot to trim it so it would fit flush. After I had done it, I liked the look of it and decided to leave them this way. This will be the kid's seat, so it should be easier for the to open as well.

I'm hoping to finish the sides on the middle seat and put in the floor between the middle and back seat and cut in my battery compartment so I can get in on the lake this weekend. The front deck will just have to wait until next week.

Attachments

• WD_0126.jpeg
    WD_0126.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 2,591
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319966#p319966 said:
fishin_with_my_kids » Today, 07:53[/url]"]Thanks for the ladder idea, I had been thinking about how to mount guides.

Looks good. Weekends are just not as long as they need to be are they? Below is a little diagram for the ladder brace guides. The brace is about $25 at HDepot, plus some pvc and bolts. On mine, I attached a 2 x 4 spanning the bunks, then bolted the brace to the 2 x 4. The pvc pieces slip on to the brace and coincidentally arrive at almost the exact angle of the boat sides. Then bolt them to the brace, put a cap on the top, and even move your lights to the pvc if desired.

Attachments

• LadderGuides.jpg
    LadderGuides.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 2,573
Thanks for the guide diagram, I'll add that to my "to do list"! Finished up the middle bench last night and now on to the front deck. Here's a few pictures of my progress.

Attachments

• IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_1134.JPG
    IMG_1134.JPG
    338.5 KB · Views: 442
Finished up the front deck this weekend. Just have a few things to finish up on the trailer and get this baby back in the water to see if everything is balanced properly. Just in time for the long weekend!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 420
Looks good! Be careful this weekend- the knucklehead on the water factor is pretty high right now- at least around these parts.

The boat looks great. I really like what you have done with it. Im curious about the storage compartments in the middle seat. Did you remove material underneath the existing aluminum bench seat that comes stock with the boat or is the storage space just the clearance from the bottom to the top of the frame work that you installed?

The middle compartments are just 2" deep, I did not remove any part of the seats. I mainly put these here to store dry bag items on one side and put a divided compartment on the other to store a few lures and such for the kids so they don't have to reach for the tackle box all the time.

Honestly, I was rushing the day I carpeted those and forgot to trim them so they would fit flush. After I mounted the first one, I wasn't very happy, but then I realized it could be a good thing. My kids always sit on the middle seat, so this might help keep them centered in the seat and not sliding back and forth - we'll see if it works!