Stupidest thing you ever did on the water???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A year or 2 ago, my buddy and I were gonna put his 12ft V in to do some saltwater inlet fishing. It was the first time we had launched a boat out there so we were pretty excited. We put all our gear in the boat, launched it, as soon as it was in the water I turned around to park the truck. 5 seconds later I heard him start freakin out, so I turned around. Of course, we forgot to put the plug in. The BAD part was, the night before, I had just bought my first "nice" rod, a St. Croix. It being the only 1 pc rod in the boat, kinda hung out the side a little. He, freaking out, frantically pulled the boat back in (which was only in about a foot of water, wouldn't have killed anything to get a couple of life jackets wet). The tip of my rod hit one of the pilings on the dock and, without bending at all, snapped the last 3ft off the tip. Needless to say, since it was such a new badass rod, it was the only one I brought on the trip, so, I had to fish for redfish with a 4ft long rod the rest of the day.
To top off the day, we were fishing right next to the Marine Science Museum, which has humongous observation windows that look out onto the inlet. I had to pee pretty badly, but it was really choppy, so I did my best and covered up with a jacket and went into the minnow bucket. Well, apparently one of the patrons of our fine Science Museum saw this and decided to call the cops. The next morning, the boys in blue CAME TO MY HOUSE at 6:30am and ARRESTED me. I was court ordered to go to therapy for it. Fun stuff.

Stupidest thing I ever did was on my way to the water. I was trailering the boat a short distance from our campsite in Bon Echo Provincial Park to the boat launch on emorning at about 5:00 am. I had forgotten to attach the winch and, while driving up a hill my boat rolled off the trailer and crashed on to the road. A number of dazed and tired campers poked their heads out of tents and trailers to see what the big noice was as I gingerly horsed the boat back on to the trailer. It was extremely embarrassing! Fortunately no damage was done.

Sort of "on the water" - I left some of my fishing tackle scattered in the boat after one morning of fishing. In the clear plastic closed case, sitting in the sun, on black carpeting, most of my crankbaits "expanded" and became misshapen. Of course, none of the garbage ones were affected, just the ones that cost $
:?

Took the wife fishing in a thunder/lightening sotrm. Well, it wasnt storming when we got to the lake. It was an hour later, the crappie were biting hard and we werent paying attention to teh weather. Suddenly (we ignored the obvious dark clouds, thunder and lightening in the distance) heaven opened up and it dumped hard on us. She being the smart one of the group brought an umbrella. Which she kindly shared when it really started raining hard. Fortunately we were in a cove with tall hills on both sides. Nothing worse than being in a tin boat holding an umbrella in the middle of water with lightening striking all around you. :oops:

Years ago two buddies and I were fishing in south Georgia. As we were moving from one spot to another I saw a water moccasin swimming ahead of us and decided to catch it. Catching snakes, even poisonous ones, is something I've done all my life and I've only had one bad experience from all those I've caught (that's fodder for another time). Anyway, my two buddies were less than enthusiastic but I told them I wasn't going to bring it into the boat. It was just one of those dumb "Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time" things we all do at one time or another. Actually, I'm not quite sure even now what I was planning to do with the snake once I caught it.

Anyway, I motored up beside the snake, kept my left hand on the tiller and reached over the side with my right hand to grab the snake. Somehow my aim was a bit off and I grabbed him a bit farther back behind the head than I had planned and the snake had a little more room to swing around toward my arm than I had planned. My lightning-fast reflexes saved the day though. Realizing what was about to happen I launched the snake into the air--and into the boat.

The snake landed on the front deck. Both my buddies did the only thing they could do--scream like girls--and race to the back of the boat. With three guys in the back of the boat, the bow rose and dumped the snake onto the floor between the deck and the middle seat. I had no idea it was possible to seat two grown men on the top of a 30-hp Evinrude but it is. I suppose it could have climbed over the seat toward the back of the boat but it didn't. I grabbed the net, scooped up the snake, and put over the side of the boat. One of the guys was able to laugh about it afterward. One wasn't. The first guy kept fishing with me after that. The second one never did.

Here's a pretty stupid thing. About 10 years ago The guys and I went to TableRock for our annual "Guy Trip". We decided to start the week off with an all-nighter.

So we're out on the lake,at about 2am a t-storm brews up. We head for the covered docks to wait out the storm. It starts getting pretty wicked out there. The winds were getting really strong,the dock was rocking about 3ft each way.At that time I suggested that we untie the boats,as a precautinary measure,incase the dock decided to flip over. At one point the wind was so strong(felt like 50-60mph) it picked the end of the dock out of the water. Mind you this is a 20 stall dock,about 100ft long. The worst part of the storm lasted less than 5min. We waited the rest of it out, then went back to fishing.

The next day we were watching the news from the Branson area. They reported a Tornado crossed the lake about 3/4mile from where we were. We just sat there dumbfounded,looking at each other,realizing we almost got nailed by a tornado the night before.

Roll casting in my old 14 footer, I hooked a rod and reel sitting there and launched it into the water. When I get my side imaging unit I'm going back and finding that GD thing.

Deadmeat, it takes a lot to make me laugh out loud, but the snake story did it. That was just funny!

i was coon huntin one night with a few friends had a nice looking girl with me and was acting a mocho seating on a tree trunk over the creek then wham it broke and i was in the in the water and soaked i got one on my father in law we always poke at him about we were fishing in a buddy's tin and he put a bluegill in the basket and forgot to tie it back to the boat and it went to the bottom of the lake. Full of nice big bluegills

Back when I was younger (13 yrs old) I was fishing with my cousins(by marriage) and his son. We were in his v-boat boat and finished up a decent day of fishing. The boat was light enough that it could be pulled by a car. So with it being windy that day, I didnt feel comfortable putting it on the trailer so he told me to back the trailer in and he would put it on. So I back it and and everything is good. Im looking back to see when he gets the boat on the trailer and I get the OK to pull him out. He gets on the trailer and says "Ok go!" I look forward and step on the gas, but I dont see myself going forward and all I hear is the wheels spin and "whoa whoa whoa whoa!!!!!" He's yelling from the boat for me to stop because silly me forgot to put the car in drive!!! #-o Somehow in the midst of all that, I quickly thru the car in drive, stepped on the gas again and pulled the car and boat up the ramp. I had put the car into the lake up to the back of the back doors (where it meets the rear quarter panels). I sat there and just looked straight down after I put the car in park. I felt so embarrassed. People all around me watching. I felt the size of an ant. Luckly I didnt get any water in the trunk or back of the car. Everything happened so fast its amazing I didnt dump the entire car! To this day he and I can still laugh at it but at that moment, Im sure he did something in his pants seeing his car going into the lake! lol