Table Rock Lake Report

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender66

Reaction score
Well, better late than never.

Went to Table Rock lake a week ago yesterday with some friends from church. He likes to fish and invited us along knowing I'd bring my boat and we could get out on the water. I'm fine with that! It was my 19 year anniversary too so it sounded like a great 4 day weekend.

Arrived early afternoon on Thursday and should have hit the water that afternoon because that night it started raining. Rained hard with lightning and thunder until late Friday night. Saturday looked like it was going to be good weather so we agreed to head out in the morning. When I suggested we get on the water at sun up, he scoffed and said that was too early for him. So....FINALLY around 10 AM we were unloading the boat.

I expected the water to be totally muddy, but was surprised I could still see 6+ feet into the water. Withing an hour I boated a Kentucky bass that went right at 16 inches. (see lousy pic). Shortly after a smallmouth around 10".....then nothing. We headed out to the main lake to see if we could find anything on main lake points but the wind was so bad that I couldn't control the boat.

Back to the coves, but I wanted to find one that still had run off from the storm the day before. First cove I found with water running in was a keeper. I lost the biggest fish of my life on the first or second cast. Clearly a LM, and we both estimated it to be in the 6lb+range. Had it on for 5 or 6 seconds and he spit out my shakey head. We both got a very good look at him though before he took off. That same, very small back corner produced 4 more fish. 1 spot, 1 LM and 2 smallies.

I caught all the fish except one small bluegill that he caught. I felt bad for him that I couldn't put him on anything decent. Then again...I had 6 rods laying across my deck and he was sitting there with his Zebco 33 on a 6 foot rod. I gave him one of my spinning rods but he never touched it.

4 days at the lake, around 5-6 hours on the lake and the rest of the time it rained. Turned out that this wasn't the trip I was expecting. Then again...he's not as hardcore as I am about fishing. Next time....I'll go with someone else. I don't mind fishing in the rain. :D

The fall colors were absolutely beautiful though. Still a nice trip with the wife (and friends).

Attachments

• Spot_lr.jpg
    Spot_lr.jpg
    798.4 KB · Views: 398
Good report

I hate it when somebody goes with me and complains about alittle wind or rain. It's usually my old lady but I have had acouple buddys put on the no-fly list for being sissys:mrgreen:

Loggerhead Mike said:
Good report

I hate it when somebody goes with me and complains about alittle wind or rain. It's usually my old lady but I have had acouple buddys put on the no-fly list for being sissys:mrgreen:

Yeah...I agree, but in his defense, he isn't really a fisherman like we are. He didn't have a rain suit, and it wasn't really a little rain....it was a LOT. I would have still fished in it without hesitation, but I would have also been dry in my suit. There's only one way he would have been dry, and that's if he would have stayed home. Wasn't really an option.

Message me next time you come down to the Rock. I live at the lake and would get you on some good fish. I really think that the weekend in question is the 12 -14, I did quite well on the lake and it did rain the last three weekends here :cry: bad for fishing. I can get you on some fly fishing also. If I can help let me know. :D

Fishin-joe said:
Message me next time you come down to the Rock. I live at the lake and would get you on some good fish. I really think that the weekend in question is the 12 -14, I did quite well on the lake and it did rain the last three weekends here :cry: bad for fishing. I can get you on some fly fishing also. If I can help let me know. :D

You can bet I'll be in touch! Love that lake, but not been on it enough to know it yet. What part do you fish mostly? I've fished coves around Indian Point that weekend, but earlier in the year did real well in Aunt's Creek. (which is where I'll probably be next time I'm there)