Taking Up the Slack?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
So I bought this cover extra large because needed the length to get the height to cover the bow with the high railing around it. It's pretty thick and I'm impressed with it overall, but the extra length is a problem. At first I pulled it all to the back, but had like 3' hanging off that wasn't easy to deal with. I did get it tight enough though to not have water pool in the open bow, which has a single wooden bow in the middle. Water was gathering in the back pretty good though. Added some framing, but didn't eliminate the pooling. Guess I'll need to add to the framework.

Last time covered it up since the cover has a pointed front that the boat lacks I folded up 2-3' of the pointy part and tucked it under. Seemed to fit a lot better! Then it rained and now I got front pooling and rear. Thought I'd figured out a way to run the straps that would keep the fabric tight against the railings and also pull it down. Didn't work. Anybody have any ideas on now to secure the front? Think might have a couple of these clamps that are meant to hook onto a tarp, guess they might work, but I really don't want to mess up my new cover. Considering running the point which has a strap to hook to to the inside compartment under the bow seat, but that would be a pain in the heiny.

Attachments

• Crestliner Cover Loose 02.jpg
    Crestliner Cover Loose 02.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Crestliner Cover Loose 03.jpg
    Crestliner Cover Loose 03.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Crestliner Cover Loose 04.jpg
    Crestliner Cover Loose 04.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Crestliner Cover Loose 07.jpg
    Crestliner Cover Loose 07.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 0
Just curious. Are you able to just pull it down as far as it will go and kind of wrap the boat with it? Assuming you're not going to trailer it that way. Also, can you cover your motor as well with any excess to take up the slack?

Was thinking about going over the motor, but then the cover would be floating above the wooden bow and I'll have to come up with another way to support it in the rear. Attaching a few more pics, hoping for some more ideas and suggestions. Not shown is another wood bow in the middle of the seating area in the front. I really just want to get this thing buttoned up for the year and snow is going to be here soon. Maybe 5" on Halloween! Talk about TRICK or treat!

Attachments

• Crestliner 05.jpg
    Crestliner 05.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Crestliner 16.jpg
    Crestliner 16.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Cover Support Bows 01.jpg
    Boat Cover Support Bows 01.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Cover Support Bows 02.jpg
    Boat Cover Support Bows 02.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Cover Support Bows 03.jpg
    Boat Cover Support Bows 03.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the ideas gentlemen. When it STOPS SNOWING! and warms up a bit, going to have another go at this. I'm thinking the the rope down the center is a good idea. I'd not considered it would help eat up the extra length. Yesterday I pulled the front down snug using these nylon tarp clamps. Not sure if like this idea though. It's a heavy weight cover, but this just seems a little hard on it. As for the wood bows, hey, I cut those myself! They're sturdy as hell, just a little bit too low to do much, so I get what you're saying. I just put them on there because the sockets were already in place and figured what the heck. Can't hurt right?

Actually, your best bet is to find inside storage, then it can rain, snow, blow or whatever mother nature wants to do..
Years back I added a lean to to the back of my garage. Just made from 2x4's and steel sheet roofing, notbthat expensive. Just tall enough to slide the boat under, now most any cover will hold up to keep blowing rain and snow out.

That is what I plan on doing. Scored some old telephone poles from the past storms we had. Neighbor down the road worked for the electrical company for 20 years and he hooked me up. Most are over ten feet long. Plan on building a simple pole barn connected to my shed. No floor but believe that should work. Thinking I will make it long enough to park boat with trailer. We very seldom get a lot of snow but it would be nice to keep it out of the rain.

I got two of the boat cover support poles from Walmart. I place them in the boat and tie them in place so it is a tent structure with a rope acting as the ridge of the “roof” and tie lines to the side for support. Only takes a few minutes and keeps all water from pooling on my cover.

I got two of the boat cover support poles from Walmart. I place them in the boat and tie them in place so it is a tent structure with a rope acting as the ridge of the “roof” and tie lines to the side for support. Only takes a few minutes and keeps all water from pooling on my cover.
Probably works great for rain and water, but if snow comes along, it won't hold up. Not sure who invented snow but they should be shot !!

Could you link me to the Walmart poles?

Both covers seemed to hold up well to the 3" of wet sloppy snow we got overnight, but the worse is yet to come!

Think the Mirro is good to go, but still need to figure something out with the Crestliner. Wish I had a way or place to build a storage area, but I just don't see that working out for me. Current idea is to run a rope from the bow cleat to the motor. With a PVC support in the middle maybe to reduce sagging.

Probably works great for rain and water, but if snow comes along, it won't hold up. Not sure who invented snow but they should be shot !!
I agree, Airshot - snow is a bad thing and most hated by myself for sure!

Boat coverage and protection has always been and always will be a tough issue for us boaters; luckily I now have a garage large enough that I can store my boat inside (heated garage) so my baby is warm and protected from mother nature, lol. Many years ago I as well as many others fought with boat covers, water puddling, snow, even hail storms that ripped the boat cover to pieces. The best design for this - tough too many other factors but some measure of protection can be accomplished by using a combination of wood and rope to assist with keeping the cover in a state to repel most if not all of the rain! Snow is a whole other issue!

So I bought this cover extra large because needed the length to get the height to cover the bow with the high railing around it. It's pretty thick and I'm impressed with it overall, but the extra length is a problem. At first I pulled it all to the back, but had like 3' hanging off that wasn't easy to deal with. I did get it tight enough though to not have water pool in the open bow, which has a single wooden bow in the middle. Water was gathering in the back pretty good though. Added some framing, but didn't eliminate the pooling. Guess I'll need to add to the framework.

Last time covered it up since the cover has a pointed front that the boat lacks I folded up 2-3' of the pointy part and tucked it under. Seemed to fit a lot better! Then it rained and now I got front pooling and rear. Thought I'd figured out a way to run the straps that would keep the fabric tight against the railings and also pull it down. Didn't work. Anybody have any ideas on now to secure the front? Think might have a couple of these clamps that are meant to hook onto a tarp, guess they might work, but I really don't want to mess up my new cover. Considering running the point which has a strap to hook to to the inside compartment under the bow seat, but that would be a pain in the heiny.
Try using these Maker Pipe fittings and EMT conduit. Easy to use and very customizable.

Could you link me to the Walmart poles?

Both covers seemed to hold up well to the 3" of wet sloppy snow we got overnight, but the worse is yet to come!

Think the Mirro is good to go, but still need to figure something out with the Crestliner. Wish I had a way or place to build a storage area, but I just don't see that working out for me. Current idea is to run a rope from the bow cleat to the motor. With a PVC support in the middle maybe to reduce sagging.
Here is the link. They are cheap but worked great for me. Living in Wisconsin, I do not leave my boat (or any of my stuff) outside during winter and I store it inside. I know snow…If I were leaving it outside in winter, I would make the same structure using either pvc or conduit and a heavy black cover

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Harbor-Master-Boat-Cover-Support-Pole/35281289