Talk me out of building my own (plywood/glass) boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHDiesel73L

Reaction score
I've lurked around here a while and learned a lot about tin boats and lusted after used ones on Craigslist. Now that I finally have the funds (new job with a raise in pay) I've been looking around and trying to find a boat that will accommodate my family and what I want to do with it. We live near two large (2000+ acre) lakes, both 9.9 limited, so the boat will spend most of its time there. Other times we'll trailer it to smaller (500 acre or less) lakes that are electric only. We fish a little, but mostly just want to take the boat out on nice days, find a nice quiet spot along the shore, and picnic, etc... Right now it's me, my wife, and our two year old daughter, but we plan to have more kids. That's what drove me toward looking at larger, higher weight capacity boats like this one, which I might build this winter:

https://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=GF16#.Ud2Ulfm1GCk

I have a good cheap source of marine plywood, so I should be able to build the boat for less than $1000. I have a small outboard (Sears Gamefisher) and a trolling motor already, but it's really too small at 32lbs thrust. A friend has a trailer he'll give me as he sold his boat to someone who didn't need it/wouldn't take it so now he's stuck with it. So really all I need is a good hull, but a new one is out of the question as far as I can tell given the prices I've seen. Older ones mostly seem too small. The reason I chose the design above was the high displacement, generous freeboard at design water line, and 5' 2" beam. Are there older aluminum boats out there that have what I'm looking for-maybe I just need to cast a wider net in my search?

I prefer aluminum over glass. But that's because I run shallow river waters and an aluminum boat takes a better beating and is easier to repair for me.

As far as cost goes, I picked up my 1996 Tracker 1648 last year for under $1,000. This included an unused 2006 trailer. Trailer was in perfect condition and the boat was in very good condition. It has a 48" bottom and, IIRC, it is 60" as it's widest point on the hull bottom. I'm guessing the beam length would be pushing 70". It took me a good month of looking several times a day on craigslist to find it. So basically I'm saying you can get a good aluminum boat, in the size your looking for w/ trailer and possibly even motor for about the same amount of $ as it would be to build your own glass boat. Now depending on what mods you want to do and accessories you want to add it can jack up the price tag. I already have WAY more into mine that I originally paid for it. But I'm also going all out on mine to make it exactly what I want. Whatever you decide, good luck!!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321870#p321870 said:
BigTerp » 26 minutes ago[/url]"]I prefer aluminum over glass. But that's because I run shallow river waters and an aluminum boat takes a better beating and is easier to repair for me.

As far as cost goes, I picked up my 1996 Tracker 1648 last year for under $1,000. This included an unused 2006 trailer. Trailer was in perfect condition and the boat was in very good condition. It has a 48" bottom and, IIRC, it is 60" as it's widest point on the hull bottom. I'm guessing the beam length would be pushing 70". It took me a good month of looking several times a day on craigslist to find it. So basically I'm saying you can get a good aluminum boat, in the size your looking for w/ trailer and possibly even motor for about the same amount of $ as it would be to build your own glass boat. Now depending on what mods you want to do and accessories you want to add it can jack up the price tag. I already have WAY more into mine that I originally paid for it. But I'm also going all out on mine to make it exactly what I want. Whatever you decide, good luck!!

Thanks. I was actually just browsing the thread on who makes the biggest jon boat ironically. I guess I just need to look a little harder. I'm looking for a simple boat-tiller steered, not much in the way of bells and whistles, so hopefully I can find a large, cheap aluminum hull. Aluminum boats have a lot of appeal to me for the reasons you mentioned. The shorelines of the lakes I will be on the most are very rocky, so I was looking at adding an extra layer of glass plus graphite to the bottom of the hull. An aluminum would certainly mean more ease of maintenance.

Chances are that a plywood/glass boat will be much heavier than an aluminum boat. That would make for slower speeds on the water and would put more stress on the trailer. On the other hand, I'm sure you would be real proud to build your own boat and then putt around in it. I almost built my own plywood/glass boat for duck hunting and fishing. I decided against it for the reasons mentioned above and the fact that I would sink countless hours in getting it built and finished. Now, I just sink countless hours in trying to get my aluminum boat "right". :roll:

Bateau boats are cool but they do expect you to be a decent wood worker. The epoxies are expensive so prepared. Dad built most of an 8 foot one and gave up. He also built a 10 footer that was cut up as well. There was one of those 16' ones about 80% done on CL a couple years ago. Thought about it but I'm much better with metal than wood.

If you have never built a wooden boat before, I suggest you just buy a aluminum boat. Wood boats are not for everybody. I have built a few and I try to steer people away from them because of the upkeep of them. They will not last as long as a aluminum boat. Since you said it will be in rocky areas, I would NOT get or build a wooden boat.

I love stitch and glue boats. There is a historical charm and innate connection between wooden boats and the water. A fine wood vessel is a work of art and each has been built with hands on care.

But wooden boats are typically heavy, expensive to build, and require FAR more upkeep than a tinny. If your reason for building is to save money, don't. An 8' dinghy is going to cost nearly $200 using the cheapest materials available, it will cost twice that if you choose better materials. For that kind of money you can find a good boat, and possibly a trailer.

If you want to build a wooden boat to have a wooden boat then by all means go for it. You won't save money, but pride can be hard to price.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=322020#p322020 said:
Ranchero50 » Yesterday, 6:22 pm[/url]"]Bateau boats are cool but they do expect you to be a decent wood worker. The epoxies are expensive so prepared. Dad built most of an 8 foot one and gave up. He also built a 10 footer that was cut up as well. There was one of those 16' ones about 80% done on CL a couple years ago. Thought about it but I'm much better with metal than wood.

This must be the one I saw last summer when I was looking on craigslist for my boat. IIRC, it was a guy in Sharpsburg trying to sell it.

I didn't mind this project because it only ran me $300ish but I built a duck hunting boat/small pond bass fishing boat. Took me a while but I took my time with it. Having done a small 8'er I would probably enjoy building 16'er but don't have the space or time right now plus I love aluminum boats. I agree with all that was said with heavier, expensive, time consuming, and more maintenance. Simply just for pride and there's nothing wrong with that!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373714177.668146.jpg

Look what popped up again, Kevlar bottomed GF16 80% done for $450. Guy says he has $1000 in it so far.

https://westmd.craigslist.org/boa/3899916842.html

01414_l3bhEExqy6C_600x450.jpg

Latest posts