Thanksgiving vs. Christmas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite?

• Thanksgiving.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Christmas.

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
Jim said:
LonLB said:
OH and a rite of passage for all boys................They are both getting BB guns, and slingshots this year for the first time

I got him the BB Gun last year, this year I was eyeing sling shots. :D

Here is what I want!

[youtube]UnNKkWf5F_8&feature[/youtube]

Captain Ahab said:
Jim said:
LonLB said:
OH and a rite of passage for all boys................They are both getting BB guns, and slingshots this year for the first time

Here is what I want!

Dang......don't you know you can shoot someone's head off with one of those! :LOL2: :LOL2:

Pretty cool though.

BassAddict said:
[

quote= lon]

sorry couldn't resist :lol:
[youtube]dZh7OZ5Xc4Q[/youtube][/quote]

That's what I've been talking about! :LOL2:

Captain Ahab said:
Jim said:
LonLB said:

Here is what I want!

I've always liked Destin's camera work. He's a nut on top of being talented.

Christmas by far. I love the reason for the season. I relly like the idea behind Christmas - but I am disappointed each year as more and more of the holiday cheer is lost on toys, sales, and jerky people.

I don't like either holiday in the comercial aspect of the two. But for the togetherness of family, I couldn't pick a favorite. Through the years as a kid, my family ruined the holiday spirit for me. Now, even though I don't feel the "JOY"...I feel happy seeing the smiles on my wife, childrens, and visiting familys faces. I do most of the cooking..."the meat"...because i'm the better cook...so after they eat at either holiday, they tell me how full they are and how great it was...I do feel people in general have twisted the holidays into something very costly, but if you have children that havn't been damaged by the outside world yet...I would say go with christmas. My son will be 18 by christmas and daughter 13, so I'm getting happier knowing the spending will go down...lol...

fool4fish1226 said:
Jim said:
I chose Thanksgiving, but because I have 3 little ones at home, I would say for now it is a tie. Once they get older it will be Thanksgiving by a long shot.

I’d have to disagree, I’ve got a ‘pre-teen’ at home, and it’s still Turkey Day for me…now for him…probably a different story. :roll:

LonLB said:
Seeing the excitement on their faces is one of the best things ever. I LOVE CHRISTMAS

This is probably the primary thing that keeps me liking tolerating Christmas. I do love to see how excited kid’s get when it comes to present time.
LonLB said:
I will say one thing about christmas.....

I'm a bit disapointed in our oldest. His list is like two or three pages long, and most of what he wants is 40-100 $$$ with probably 60% being $75 or over.
He even asked for some new handheld video game thing that is $200.
And he won't STOP telling us what he wants.

This year more than ever we want to teach them there is more to Christmas than receiving gifts.
They are getting much less "things" this year, but we are taking them to the Field Museum in Chicago, and taking a train to get there, so they will remember that for a long time. Especially since they are into Dinosaurs.
Might even take them to some cool place for dinner over there if we can find something.

LonLB-

Your post really stuck with me…

The wife and I run into this problem too, mostly with extended family, but, at times, with our son as well. My wife’s of the “crafty sort”, and I’m a pretty handy guy with just about anything that can be used to fix/break something else…that said we usually take the time to make more ‘handcrafted’, ‘homespun’, or ‘homemade’ types of gifts. It does take more time (which makes us feel good as we have to think about WHAT we’re making for WHOM), hopefully the recipients realize what we put into it. The nice thing is that it’s usually a lot cheaper than buying junk that people really don’t need, which keeps our lives, and hopefully theirs, simple.

In year’s past my wife has made pillowcases from Christmas fabric for the kids so they have a ‘special December/Christmas pillow’, matching PJ’s for a whole family, baked goods, etc., once we even made all the kids jelly from Mountain Dew, Coke, or Kool-aid! This year, we ordered a coupla hundred feet of paracord to make survival bracelets for the boys, and some cool leashes/dog collars for a survivalist/dog lover on our list. Surprisingly, we could make 10 bracelets, a collar and a leash for about $25 of materials shipped to our door.

Historically, the hardest void to fill on our list has been my wife’s grandparents (in their late 70’s). The ol’ man has just about every tool under the sun, and doesn’t need much to fulfill his wants/needs. For the past 2-3 years we stopped buying them crap and prepare them about 5-10 frozen meals; pot pies, stews, soups, fruit pies, etc. That way they don’t have to spend time cooking, just whip out a homemade meal from the freezer, defrost, heat and wallah!

It may not be much, but it means more to them than the Kindle someone bought Grandma last year (which is still in the box) or the rest of the family’s idea to “go in together” and get Grandpa an iPad….SERIOUSLY…WHY DOES GRANDPA NEED AN IPAD!?!?! #-o

dually66 said:
I don't like either holiday in the comercial aspect of the two. But for the togetherness of family, I couldn't pick a favorite. Through the years as a kid, my family ruined the holiday spirit for me. Now, even though I don't feel the "JOY"...I feel happy seeing the smiles on my wife, childrens, and visiting familys faces. I do most of the cooking..."the meat"...because i'm the better cook...so after they eat at either holiday, they tell me how full they are and how great it was...I do feel people in general have twisted the holidays into something very costly, but if you have children that havn't been damaged by the outside world yet...I would say go with christmas. My son will be 18 by christmas and daughter 13, so I'm getting happier knowing the spending will go down...lol...

Ya lost me on one thing...

Now, it's easy to see the commercial aspect of what "Giftmas" has become, but I'm not sure I follow you the commercial aspect of Thanksgiving?

Black Friday, ya sure, but that ain't Thanksgiving. [-X

One could argue the price increase in my Turkey this year; $0.59/lb, up from $0.39/lb last year...with at $25 minimum purchase, limit one per family, blah, blah, blah...but I'm not seeing how Turkey Day is commercial. :?:

We do pretty much the same on both besides the presents

Go to the familys, eat and start happy hour wich lasts late into the night. Best times of the year

I guess part of the reason I don't like Christmas is because I have five (5) of the **** things every December:

1. Sunday before Christmas: Extended Family (wife's Mom's family) Christmas at Grandma & Grandpa's house.
2. Christmas Eve Day: Christmas with my Mom & my Family (mostly just to include my Mom for the sake of her grandson, my family (wife/kid/I don't exchange gifts until Christmas Day)).
3. Christmas Eve: Christmas with my Father-in-Law's family (not like #1, just Dad's side).
4. Christmas Day (Morning): Christmas with my wife and son.
5. Christmas Day (Later morning/afternoon): Christmas with my In-Law's.

I guess it's just part of having a big family...the wife has 6 Aunt's/Uncles on her Mom's side and 4 on her Dad's side...makes for one heck of a messy holiday season! When I was growing up it was just Mom, Grandma and I. My Dad & Grandpa died when I was really young.

Truthfully, the whole [family] mess is run pretty well. The main reason I like Turkey Day better is that "Christmas" has turned into "Giftmas" perpetuated by Corporate America - IMOHO.

I grew up with 7 aunts and uncles on one side and 11 on the other...we just didn't have that many Christmases. ;) We would just visit with several of them for a while on Christmas and the couple days after...

My wife and I have previously taken turns traveling to our parents for Christmas, but now that we have moved here we have gotten to the point where they can come to us. Especially now that we are thinking of having our first child...we want to start building our own Christmas and traditions.