Tidal DE River - No Stripes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Went for what might be the final shore bound striper trip of the spring yesterday. Full moon, nice weather (lots of sun) and good reports had our optimism running high. Stopped at Shags Bait (real name) and Pimply (not his real name) gave his usual sage advice "Yep, peoples are catching stripers, mostly at the river." However, after I inquired about getting fresh bunker he let slip that herring was working for the big cow females. We purchased some fresh herring.

Setting up at the spot we noticed perhaps a dozen other fishermen nearby. A local man soon walked over to see how we were doing, he informed us that he landed a 38" striper the evening before and that this spot was very crowded yesterday. Why is it that every time I do this stuff I get to hear about how I shoudl have been there yesterday?

I got a nice hit on some cut herring and Leibs got a strong run on a herring head. The white perch continued to eat the very expensive blood worms all day!

We ended up with a few nice channel cats each, i landed two white perch and Leibs landed two eels!

And now, the pictures:

DMB_4_20_08_004.jpg

DMB_4_20_08_007.jpg

DMB_4_20_08_006.jpg

DMB_4_20_08_005.jpg

DMB_4_20_08_009.jpg

DMB_4_20_08_001.jpg

DMB_4_20_08_003.jpg

Cool report. I like the picture of the ship in the background, Did one of you just get off the Banana Boat?

David, you really need to save the gas and fish for channels closer to home. :wink:

Good report and, as always, good pictures.

Hey something is better than nothing right? Those eels make for good bait from what I hear, havent used any myself, because there are rules against using live eels here, plus I wouldnt know where to begin in riggin one up. Why was this your last striper trip, they movin out of the river up there?

Slim - not my last Striper trip, just the last trip to that area for the year. Some have moved up river, but bait and wait for Stripers is OK, but now that the LM and SM Bass are turned on, I will be targeting them closer to home.

That spot is an hour and a half drive and buying bloodworms at $10 a dozen to feed to white perch is getting tiresome