TinBoat Newbie

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homey53916

Reaction score
Hello to you all!

Just bought my first powerboat yesterday :p . I really don't know much about motors or boats, but wanted to get out farther on lakes than I am willing to paddle. According to the registration it is a 1957 14' Starcraft with a 1967 20hp Johnson. The boat is in great shape, and the motor seems solid. It came with a gas can, 30lb Minn kota & battery, fish finder, oars, and an anchor mate. I got it for $800, so I am happy :D .

I had it out yesterday with my family, and this morning by myself. Both times I only reached 6 mph full throttle :?: which seems really off to me since I have watched YouTube videos of aluminum boats with 20hp motors just flying. Not sure what is wrong or what I am doing wrong.

When I was out this morning I wanted to move to a different fishing spot, but the recoil rope wouldn't wind back in after the first pull. Knowing nothing about motors, I tried to get back with the Minn Kota, but the wind just pushed me in the opposite direction. So I spent 45 minutes rowing to the landing #-o . Good thing I had the oars. Got the recoil rope back in when I got home.

So it has already been an adventure! Now I need to figure the motor out, and then maybe do some minor mods. I look forward to getting great ideas/advice from the folks on this board.

Jeff

Welcome aboard!!

The first thing to do is give everything a thorough cleaning - get some Simple Green and give the recoil assembly a good cleaning, and run some Seafoam through the fuel system. For whatever reason, modern gas is lucky to make it 30 days before it starts gumming stuff up.

It sounds like your ignition is fine, so just focus on the fuel system right now. Replace all of your fuel lines and maybe put a fuel pump kit in it. It'd also be a good idea to put in new spark plugs and a water pump kit just because.

You might end up having to do a carburetor rebuild on it, but these are remarkably easy and not a whole hell of a lot different from a Tecumseh lawnmower carb. Just an afternoon with a little patience and some Berryman's Chem-Dip (The new stuff sucks compared to the old stuff, so a little more patience than used to be required) will have you running stronger.