Tow capacity ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I have discovered a dilemma. My SUV has a max tow rating of 4,000. The boat I am seeking is 3,900 lbs with outboard. I assume that is dry. Add fuel 54 gal max @ 6 pounds per is 325 pounds more, add the dual axle trailer and some gear and I'm sure I'm at 5,000 or more. I have no intention of trailering this boat all over the country, My plan is, if I buy it to have the company drop it in the water for me and I will drive the boat to the marina of my choice. I can then haul the trailer around to my designated spot at the marina and leave her there until fall when we pull the boat until next season.

My house is all of 10 miles to the marinas in my area, with a couple of hills, but no mountains or major inclines. I'm thinking I can make the trip if needed without a problem, but would still appreciate honest opinions from the fine people here. Mind you that this would be 80% 25 MPH max 15%, 35 MPH max and 5% 40 MPH max speed roads.

What would you do? No way I'm buying another tow vehicle, I'd rent a pickup if I absolutely had to.

Biggest issue might be lack of braking power....you would probably get away with it, but...how much of a gambling man are you ?? If...anything should happen serious...you could loose insurance coverage, or you might get sued for exceeding towing capacity and sued for negligence because you knew you were towing over capacity!! All things to consider and how much you have to loose ! I am retired, most everything is paid for, so for me, I have a lot to loose, but....when I was younger and did not own very much and more willing to take chances....I might have taken the gamble !! Any chance tou have a friend with a nice truck that could make that tow for you twice a year, if you bought him a nice dinner or take him fishing??

You mentioned dual axle trailer I would suspect that's close to 1k lbs itself. With a 3900lb boat I'd suspect you would be closer to 6klb than 5klb after fuel, gear, coolers etc. Does your vehicle have a cvt trans? Does the trailer have good surge brakes on both axles? You could easily be exceeding your tow rating by close to 50% I don't think that's a good idea regardless of the vehicle.

Sure you can drive it over weight. But remember your over weight and your mileage count/ mph is not going to hold water with a insurance adjuster. Over weight is not covered. Rent the Truck.

OK, I have discovered a dilemma. My SUV has a max tow rating of 4,000. The boat I am seeking is 3,900 lbs with outboard. I assume that is dry. Add fuel 54 gal max @ 6 pounds per is 325 pounds more, add the dual axle trailer and some gear and I'm sure I'm at 5,000 or more. I have no intention of trailering this boat all over the country, My plan is, if I buy it to have the company drop it in the water for me and I will drive the boat to the marina of my choice. I can then haul the trailer around to my designated spot at the marina and leave her there until fall when we pull the boat until next season.

My house is all of 10 miles to the marinas in my area, with a couple of hills, but no mountains or major inclines. I'm thinking I can make the trip if needed without a problem, but would still appreciate honest opinions from the fine people here. Mind you that this would be 80% 25 MPH max 15%, 35 MPH max and 5% 40 MPH max speed roads.

What would you do? No way I'm buying another tow vehicle, I'd rent a pickup if I absolutely had to.
You could try it at least one. Getting up the ramp might be the hardest task it needs to perform and it would be a concern with that amount of stress on the SUV. Braking would be a concern on the road because the trailer will have surge brakes which on a boat trailer are not always working very well. I don't know the best methods to test surge brake either.

Physically, the suv would probably do it. Should you, I think not. Per Steve's calc above, you are way outside the rating. The risk/liability is not worth it. For the twice a year occurance, a friend with pick-up, truck rental (hitch?), or even the marina delivering to your house are better options.

Physically, the suv would probably do it. Should you, I think not. Per Steve's calc above, you are way outside the rating. The risk/liability is not worth it. For the twice a year occurance, a friend with pick-up, truck rental (hitch?), or even the marina delivering to your house are better options.
It would do it just have to be willing to accept the liability involved. We used a old Dakota reg cab v6 to move cattle around our farm 4 at a time in a 18ft bumper pull cattle hauler. Got the job done untill it couldn't anymore. Was a cheap auction truck so we weren't worried about consequences.

Thanks everyone, I'll try addressing everyone's response here. Am I a gambling man, the name CRAZY boat comes from somewhere. I do all kind of crazy stuff, always manage to come out on top. However now at 60+ and having real property I am questioning my original thought. I guess they call that wisdom (I hope that's what it is). I will check and see if the trailer has brakes of it's own, but still getting her up a wet ramp may be an issue.

The SUV is a 2020 Cadillac XT6, V6 with a 9 speed (auto) gear box. The hills I'd need to go up/down are mild, casual type hills, nothing of substance. I'm sure the SUV can tow the load, the ramp is the bigger issue to me. Keep the speed low as indicated make it easier to stop too.

I unfortunately do not have a friend with a pickup truck or larger SUV like a Suburban. I'm pretty sure I can rent a pick up or box truck from U-Haul or Home Depot to do the job if needed.

Thanks for taking some sense into me. I can always move the boat from marina to marina by water and tow the empty trailer with my SUV.

My guess is that it will have brakes. If it doesn't, not sure if NJ will make you add them before registering. My brother just went through the knothole in CT, and had to add brakes to his dual axle trailer. He has a 20' fiberglass bowrider w/V6. He mentioned that there is a federal reg for having brakes based on the weight.

My guess is that it will have brakes. If it doesn't, not sure if NJ will make you add them before registering. My brother just went through the knothole in CT, and had to add brakes to his dual axle trailer. He has a 20' fiberglass bowrider w/V6. He mentioned that there is a federal reg for having brakes based on the weight.
It's a dual axle so it will definitely come with atleast brakes on 1 axle. I believe that's required for any trailer over 3500gvw federally some states have additional requirements. Hopefully surge brakes because his suv won't have a brake controller from the factory of coarse that could be added.

I think it has all been shared. My thought is even if the rig was at 4,000# on the dot you might be pushing it. Thinking of a 400# to 600# tongue weight on that suspension too.

Renting seems like a practical stress free way to go.

Too bad we are on opposite coasts. I would be happy to help you out. That is unless I trade my RAM for an SUV. Haha.

It's a toss up. People do a lot stupider stuff every day. You can minimize risk, empty the boat of all but the bare minimum with just enough fuel to get by, try to pick a time when there isn't a lot of traffic, and empty the tow vehicle of all passengers and gear.

The trailer very likely has surge brakes, if you did decide to try, the tow rig will need to be wired for the 7 pin round plug, and have a reverse signal wire for the brake lockout solenoid, or you won't be able to back up with the trailer.

I'd guess the determining factor for me would be if that weight figure includes the trailer or not. If it did, I'd be willing to try, if it didn't, you're likely at least 500lbs over the max rating, that's pushing it and would make me hesitant.

There are people that move trailers with pickups for a living. If only twice a year get on u ship enter the details and wait for the bids to come in. The lowes and home depot rentals I've seen are either flatbed 2500s with really high hitch height you would spend a couple hundred easy on a hitch with enough drop for a boat, or they are long bed base model 2x4 pickups with highway tires going to be a gamble on if it can pull 6k lbs up a wet boat ramp.

It's a toss up. People do a lot stupider stuff every day. You can minimize risk, empty the boat of all but the bare minimum with just enough fuel to get by, try to pick a time when there isn't a lot of traffic, and empty the tow vehicle of all passengers and gear.

The trailer very likely has surge brakes, if you did decide to try, the tow rig will need to be wired for the 7 pin round plug, and have a reverse signal wire for the brake lockout solenoid, or you won't be able to back up with the trailer.

I'd guess the determining factor for me would be if that weight figure includes the trailer or not. If it did, I'd be willing to try, if it didn't, you're likely at least 500lbs over the max rating, that's pushing it and would make me hesitant.
Knowing myself as I do I will have the marina launch and pull the boat, I plan on storing her on the trailer at the marina, so I'll hook her up and move her around on level ground just to feel things out. From that I'll determine just how much a risk it is vs how confidant I am it won't be an issue. Odds are at this stage of my game I'll error on the side of caution.

There are people that move trailers with pickups for a living. If only twice a year get on u ship enter the details and wait for the bids to come in. The lowes and home depot rentals I've seen are either flatbed 2500s with really high hitch height you would spend a couple hundred easy on a hitch with enough drop for a boat, or they are long bed base model 2x4 pickups with highway tires going to be a gamble on if it can pull 6k lbs up a wet boat ramp.
Valid points.

No one is going to come for a 10 minute move for any kind of reasonable price. See if a friend or neighbor can run it to the marina for you if you are too nervous to do it with yours.

I've run 2WD F150's since the early 1980's, pulling boats up to a big 24' Wellcraft express. Always used all season tires. I don't think I've ever gotten stuck on a ramp, even with ice, although it did spin a lot that day. They had a bucket of sand next to the ramp, and we used it. That was the closest I've ever come. I think you will be fine if you borrow a Lowes pickup truck.

My last truck, a 2004 F150/4.6L 2WD had a tow rating of 7K. I kind of laugh at guys who feel they need a beefy 4WD truck to pull an aluminum boat. Maybe it's a good excuse for their wife, but my experience says otherwise.

Knowing myself as I do I will have the marina launch and pull the boat, I plan on storing her on the trailer at the marina, so I'll hook her up and move her around on level ground just to feel things out. From that I'll determine just how much a risk it is vs how confidant I am it won't be an issue. Odds are at this stage of my game I'll error on the side of caution.
For a short trip to the marina, I would probably just take my time go slow and drive carefully. Or, rent a Lowes truck.

The tow vehicle is part of the equation. I don't understand why people will dump a bundle on a boat and then put themselves and their toy at risk by being too cheap to go out and get something adequate to tow it with. Maybe spend less on the boat and use some of the savings to get a decent pickup truck? Most any full sized truck will tow all but the largest boats with no trouble. My Silverado is rated at something like 6200 lbs. It's nothing special either. 2WD, 5.7 V8. IMO it's asking a lot of an SUV, especially a FWD to tow anything. For $hit$ and giggles call a transmission shop and price getting a trans replaced on an SUV. It ain't cheap. For our SRX it's 6k. You think I'm ever going to tow a trailer with that car?

The tow vehicle is part of the equation. I don't understand why people will dump a bundle on a boat and then put themselves and their toy at risk by being too cheap to go out and get something adequate to tow it with. Maybe spend less on the boat and use some of the savings to get a decent pickup truck? Most any full sized truck will tow all but the largest boats with no trouble. My Silverado is rated at something like 6200 lbs. It's nothing special either. 2WD, 5.7 V8. IMO it's asking a lot of an SUV, especially a FWD to tow anything. For $hit$ and giggles call a transmission shop and price getting a trans replaced on an SUV. It ain't cheap. For our SRX it's 6k. You think I'm ever going to tow a trailer with that car?
You should probably just stop responding to me, you can't seem to help yourself from insulting me. Now I'm cheap. My car isn't a car, it's an SUV, my XT6 isn't an SRX. I've also said I could rent a tow vehicle. Time for you and your confrontational manner to stop responding if you cannot control the words you type.

It seems you cannot add things up, so I'll do the simple math for you one more time. An F 150 or Silverado type truck would be used maybe twice a year for 20 minutes for the task intended. Do I let it sit the rest of the year? Do I use it as my daily driver? Why would I do that? a pickup is near useless to me in my life and where I live. Life is about compromise, you sir don't have it all, nor do I. Learn to accept that and your life will be better.

Last edited: