Tracker Sportsman 18' Restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USKEW

Reaction score
Good morning,
Brand new user to this site, but I've been reading through the posts and seems like a great forum with alot of help / advice being offered. I wanted to post some pics of my boat with my plan and see if I could get some advice on the correct procedure I should use on this restoration. Sorry for the length of this post, but I have questions.

I have a '96 Tracker Sportsman 18 that I use primarily for deer and turkey hunting. Just a utility boat that get's beat around, with alot of mud and blood tracked through it. :) I've thought about camoflauging the boat (just for looks, never really gotten into duck hunting...though I need to) but I've pretty much decided now just to take it back to original jon boat green, new wood floor, rewire, new lights and new decals on the motor cowl. Here are my questions...

Painting - I know for fact the boat has the original finish from the mfg on it. (I'm the 2nd owner) As you can see, the paint is not really flaking off, but just has been scratched and worn from use. So it's not "coming off" on it's own. Given this, I figured I just needed to pressure wash the boat, degrease and paint over with the Parker's duck boat paint, hunter green. Should I do anything more than a good degrease and pressure wash? I don't really want to get into completely stripping the boat, and don't see the need if it has the original finish from the mfg. that seems would still be a good base.

Pre Paint - Boat has a crack in the bottom and a few leaks. The crack in the bottom is about 3" - 4" in length and I figure it must have been sitting on a rock when I pulled up on the bank and then cracked when walking on it. At the present I have some JB Weld (underwater version of it) on the crack. I can't even get the JB weld off of it. I will need to chisle is off to remove. What's the best way to seal the crack prior to paint? I was going to remove the JB Weld, sand it down in that spot, seal the crack with some 3M marine sealer, then go back over it with some new JB Weld and paint over. (was going to do this on the top and bottom side).

In addition, there is a protective plate that is riveted all the way down the front "v". I get some leaking there. I recently used the clear 3M marine seal and filled the voids between the boat hull and this plate and it has stopped the leaking. Anything different you'd do here prior to painting?

In the pic of the front of the boat you'll see some holes where there was previously a base installed for a front nav. light. That has been removed. I want to cover that and thought I'd just use a small piece of treated plywood screwed over the hole and then paint. I know that a piece of aluminum welded would probably be better...but I don't have access to the tools, nor the knowledge to begin tackling welding etc. Any advice?

I would also like to replace the "Tracker Sportsman 18" decal on each side, but with a black logo and lettering. What's the best way to remove all decals prior to painting? And any idea where to find replacement decals? I've searched the web with no luck on this exact decal.

Transom - The transom plywood appears to be in pretty good shape (in my opinion). It's seems solid, some minor delaminating of the outer surface. I was planing on just sanding that down some, painting and sealing. To remove would entail removing some rivets...and as above I really don't have the know how or tools to begin removing and replacing rivets.

Lastly the motor cowl - 25 HP merc that runs like a dream. From sitting in the sun all the decals have faded and are beginning to chip / flake off. I found a replacement set of decals for that make and model motor and figured I would remove the old decals, paint the cowl and replace with new decals. What's the best way to remove the decals from this fiberglass cowl / cover? Then on painting it...I see where Mercury sells a phantom black gloss enamal spray paint. The top is not in terrible shape, but any advise on repainting this or clear coating it? Should it be sanded? Just degreased and washed, etc...?

Again, sorry for the length of this and all the questions...but I've never attempted a restoration of a jon boat and want a good result that will last. Thanks for the help!! Kevin

P1020386.JPG

P1020390.JPG

P1020387.JPG

P1020389.JPG

P1020396.JPG

P1020401.JPG

P1020388.JPG

P1020391.JPG

P1020392.JPG

P1020393.JPG

P1020397.JPG

P1020398.JPG