Tracker Topper 10' Transom Height 13" not 15" / outboard too low?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronxborn

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2017 Tracker Topper 10' that I put a Suzuki 2.5hp on. I noticed that the anti-cavitation plate is about 2.5-3 inches lower than the bottom of the hull. Thus, the transom actually measured at 13" and not 15". I'm not able to get the full RPM of my outboard, even while sitting in the forward seat (range is 5450-5750 and I get about 5100-5200).

Is this likely due to the extra drag from the engine being mounted too low? I've tried all trim positions extensively and found the 2nd position to provide the best performance. I've even borrowed a buddy's Suzuki 6 hp, was able to get on plane but the anti-cavitation plate was definitely a couple inches below the water and not skimming the surface and max speed was 15 mph and also not hitting max rpm range.

Essentially, is raising the outboard 1.5-2 inches possibly going to help performance, even if just 1 mph or better fuel economy? Or is there a reason why the transom is only 13" and not 15"?