Tracker Topper 1236 mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glowplug

Reaction score
I'm new to the board, new to Jon boats, and having a blast with it so far. I recently bought a brand new Tracker Topper 12w to take my kids camping on the Congaree and Edisto rivers in SC, and to fish some smaller lakes and ponds. I found a deal on a 2000 8hp Mercury, and it pushes myself, the kids, and 50lb of gear 17mph. I live in Columbia SC now, but I'm originally from Charleston and am used to much bigger fiberglass boats. This is my first tin boat.
Introductions out of the way, I thought I'd share the modifications I've made so far and ask a few questions. The boat came with the center seat, but it felt like it took up too much room and my kids were constantly climbing over it and almost tipping the boat. It also made it hard to distribute weight- the boat would either go bow way up or bow way down, and I could never seem to find the sweet spot no matter what I tried. I wasn't too keen on slicing up a boat that had only been in the water a total of about an hour, but after looking at this forum, I decided I needed dry(ish) storage and a fishing deck. I work in manufacturing using aluminum, and I'm lucky enough to have all the equipment and materials available to me at no cost. The frame weighs less than the removed seat, and the .090 sheet metal makes the net weight gain about 8lb over factory weight. I'd like to hear feedback if possible.
I do have a few questions, and a concern or two. I understand that I weakened the structure a bit when I removed the seat, and reinforced it somewhat when I added the deck, but when I'm on the river I get... oil canning(?) in the floor. It's not too bad, but it concerns me a little. My daughter likes to sit on a small cooler in the middle of the floor, and when we're going down the river she just bounces there. I didn't take it out enough before cutting it to know if this is normal.
The other question is about the motor. The boat is rated for a 5hp motor. I've seen very similar boats rated for much bigger motors and the only difference I can see is that they have boxes in the rear corners. I'm assuming the boxes brace the transom against the rear seat. If I were to strengthen the transom and add braces to the seat, will this suffice? I understand the coast guard or DNR might have an issue with it, but I can live with it. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_4749.JPG
    IMG_4749.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,991
  • IMG_7724.JPG
    IMG_7724.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,991
  • IMG_7726.JPG
    IMG_7726.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,991
  • IMG_7728.JPG
    IMG_7728.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,991
  • IMG_7729.JPG
    IMG_7729.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,991
  • IMG_7731.JPG
    IMG_7731.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,991
  • IMG_7759.JPG
    IMG_7759.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,991
  • IMG_7761.JPG
    IMG_7761.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,991
  • IMG_7773.JPG
    IMG_7773.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,991
  • IMG_7784.JPG
    IMG_7784.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,991
A few more pics

Attachments

• IMG_7758.JPG
    IMG_7758.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,910
  • IMG_7776.JPG
    IMG_7776.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,910
  • IMG_7779.JPG
    IMG_7779.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,910
  • IMG_7788.JPG
    IMG_7788.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,910
Nice work, good clean lines. That's a good size gap between your factory brace and the new deck you installed, I suspect that's where your seeing and feeling the hull movement. You look pretty handy with metal, you could build and install a new brace In the area the old bench was sitting. If you plan on installing a floor, that too will help with the hull movement. Not sure what gauge your hull is made of, probably .100 or less. I'd start with the brace first and see what happens after that. Keep up the good work.

As to the motor: I have a 1236 Monark (also in Columbia, I'll wave if I see you out) with an 8hp Johnson on the back. My boat is also rated for a 5hp motor. There is no difference in weight between the 6hp and 8hp model of my motor, so I don't worry about my transom. Any additional support would help in a general sense but I'm not sure the weight of your motor is enough to warrant a modification. I've not been hassled by DNR (yet) and I'm not aware of any SC law on overpowering a boat. Generally that has to do with insurance and liability (civil) issues.

Motor rating is not based on the structural integrity of the hull, it's a formula based on the length, width, height, bottom design & steering position - so I wouldn't worry at all about an 8HP in place of a 5hp.

That stretch of un-supported hull though is rather long and you should definitely be adding a brace to it regardless of whether you put a floor in or not.

Beautiful job on the bow work - having the toys to pull it off is no substitution for quality craftsmanship and you've got both going for you.