Transom Tie Downs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my case ( and neighbors) the cam lock just doesn't hold, when I get to the ramp or back home the whole strap is just loose...when I bought it the p o had cam lock straps but said rhey didn't work well so I bought a brand new set of boat buckles. They never held either. Made numerous changes to the way I attached, put more and less tension on the overcenter lock, they still came loose. They never held on my Islander either, ended up with rachet straps on that boat as well. No idea why, wish I did as they are a bit quicker, but not worth the gamble of them comming loose. Open to suggestions, willing to try them again if I knew how to keep them tight.

In my case ( and neighbors) the cam lock just doesn't hold, when I get to the ramp or back home the whole strap is just loose...when I bought it the p o had cam lock straps but said rhey didn't work well so I bought a brand new set of boat buckles. They never held either. Made numerous changes to the way I attached, put more and less tension on the overcenter lock, they still came loose. They never held on my Islander either, ended up with rachet straps on that boat as well. No idea why, wish I did as they are a bit quicker, but not worth the gamble of them comming loose. Open to suggestions, willing to try them again if I knew how to keep them tight.

Wish I could offer suggestions. Sounds like it is just luck of the draw.

I was being a devil’s advocate but, the reference was for highway towing. I do use the straps with low expectations for what they can actually do.

Our home is in the foothills of the Northern Rookies and yes we have washboard dirt roads too. I slow down to 5 mph or less to avoid beating up the boat and truck. The reason the gravel roads are trashed is because people are driving too fast. Slowing down and using 4WD really helps prolong the road surface between grading.

If you are referring to off-roading with a boat I step down to a small inflatable pontoon when fishing these mountain lakes.
Well, I guess I stand corrected. As an East TN Appalachian man, I must say that foothills of the Rockies count as mountains in my opinion.

My main problem isn't so much washboard gravel roads (although I deal with them at certain ramps), but instead narrow roads with twists and turns and no shoulders. That and other drivers coming over on my side in blind corners.

Interestingly though, my least favorite road I take my boat down is a beautiful 4 lane road with a 50 mph speed limit because there are a few humps that if you aren't paying attention to where you are, you'll send your boat and trailer airborne for a second! You don't notice it as much driving without a trailer, but the moment the boat is behind you and you go over the hump too fast, you know you messed up.

Well, I guess I stand corrected. As an East TN Appalachian man, I must say that foothills of the Rockies count as mountains in my opinion.

My main problem isn't so much washboard gravel roads (although I deal with them at certain ramps), but instead narrow roads with twists and turns and no shoulders. That and other drivers coming over on my side in blind corners.

Interestingly though, my least favorite road I take my boat down is a beautiful 4 lane road with a 50 mph speed limit because there are a few humps that if you aren't paying attention to where you are, you'll send your boat and trailer airborne for a second! You don't notice it as much driving without a trailer, but the moment the boat is behind you and you go over the hump too fast, you know you messed up.
When I first got my Crestliner 1750 I had a rude awaken going over some RR tracks that looked smoother than they were. I ended up replacing the bunk supports.

Friday night when pulling off the lake I was thinking about this thread. I still used the transom tie downs. I just tend to drive like they weren’t there. Getting old I guess. :)