Trying to fix up an older boat could use a little help...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, we got most of the sealing done today but now we are stuck trying to decide what to do about primering/painting the boat. I am not that concerned with making it look great because it is just a boat for hunting/fishing but I want to make sure that it is not going to rust or run into any problems later on. There are quite a few places where we had to get down to bare aluminum to put the sealant on. Would you recommend "Spot Primering" or stripping the whole boat down to bare and starting the primer from scratch. Also, I have heard that you have to use an exact primer for aluminum, can you tell me about this? And with this primer can you get it in colors or just in the "primer gray"?

Scrape/Sand/Brush off any loose paint. Rough up the boat surface a little. Then clean it really good with a tack rag and wipe it down with Acetone. Then go over it with an Etching(or called Zinc Chromate) Primer. This type of primer will grab the aluminum to allow the paint to adhere better. Typically is comes in a rattle can, for about $6. I found it at the local Auto Parts store, but in some parts Wal-Mart carries it. Then you can paint it. I chose to put a regular primer coat over the Etching primer but from what I've ready it's not a necessary step. Good Luck.

Well, we got what we hope is all of the leaks sealed up yesterday. I have decided to go ahead and get the whole boat down to bare aluminum and start from scratch, so I am planning to try to finish up that sanding this afternoon. Thanks again for all the help so far guys.

Attachments

• DSCI0210.jpg
    DSCI0210.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCI0222.jpg
    DSCI0222.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCI0223.jpg
    DSCI0223.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCI0224.jpg
    DSCI0224.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCI0225.jpg
    DSCI0225.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCI0226.jpg
    DSCI0226.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCI0227.jpg
    DSCI0227.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 393
chrisbuck43 said:
Ok, we got most of the sealing done today but now we are stuck trying to decide what to do about primering/painting the boat. I am not that concerned with making it look great because it is just a boat for hunting/fishing but I want to make sure that it is not going to rust or run into any problems later on. There are quite a few places where we had to get down to bare aluminum to put the sealant on. Would you recommend "Spot Primering" or stripping the whole boat down to bare and starting the primer from scratch. Also, I have heard that you have to use an exact primer for aluminum, can you tell me about this? And with this primer can you get it in colors or just in the "primer gray"?

That is a beauty of aluminum - no need to pain to protect it

Hey guys, It's been a while. I got the boat primed and am waiting on a warm day to paint but I would like to go ahead and cut the piece of wood for the transom. I know I shouldn't use treated wood but is there any particular type of wood that is suggested? Thanks

chrisbuck43 said:
Hey guys, It's been a while. I got the boat primed and am waiting on a warm day to paint but I would like to go ahead and cut the piece of wood for the transom. I know I shouldn't use treated wood but is there any particular type of wood that is suggested? Thanks

I used outdoor plywood. Outdoor rated ply has a waterproof glue that will not delaminate as easily as indoor ply. Building a laminated transom will proly be cheaper than buying a piece that is thick enough for your transom. IOW if your transom needs to be 1" thick, laminate two pieces of 1/2" ply instead of buying a whole piece of 1" ply and only using a little piece of it. You can glue them together with liquid nails, Use a 1/8" notched spreader to lay down the liquid nails, than add weights (not too much, you want to keep the glue in) to let it set up. A laminated transom will be stronger than a transom made from lumber (like a 1 x 6). Make sure you treat it with a protectant; Thompson's Water Seal or epoxy, water seal will be cheaper. Seal all holes through the transom, or screw holes even, with 5200 Marine Sealant. The goal is to never let water get to untreated wood; do this and it will never rot.

Latest posts