U-haul "rental" boat? Ever seen one?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azekologi

Reaction score
Ok, so there's this guy in my neighborhood who has a 14' Sea Nymph sitting in his driveway with a "For Sale" sign. I'm always on the lookout for a good deal so after a couple of weeks I finally stopped to check out the boat.

I looked at the boat, which is generally pretty good but does needs some work, and was shocked to find "PROPERTY OF UHAUL, NOT TO BE SOLD" engraved on the upper left of the exterior transom. The boat does have state registration tags (not current as I recall), so I'm assuming it's legit...but odd? :-k

I called the ol' dog and he said that it's a 1983 14' Nymph that he bought sometime in the 90's, from another private party. He didn't know the history of the UHAUL engraving, but assured me it was legit as he did get it registered in this state and that I wouldn't have a problem getting it registered either. (Obviously feeling me out as a buyer).

I'm going to pass on the deal, unless he comes down on the price, a lot, as he's asking $850 for the boat (needs work), trailer (needs work), and a mid-90's 6hp Johnson (unknown condition).

I was just curious if anyone has ever seen such an engraving, or knows about U-Haul renting boats? I've never seen it, but I live in the barren deserts of Arizona....not much business in small tin rentals here.

If ya'll want, I'll snag some pictures to post...just lemme know...

Thanks!

My 1984 Mirrocraft had a nearly impossible to get off U-Haul sticker on it along with the same ingraved on the transom. Even the trailer had it on it. The person I bought it from bought it off U-Haul in the 90s and had the title and I had no problems getting it transfered. Dont pass it up just because the ingraving ;)

If you have the reg # , hull ID# or title then you can do search of these with your DNR. It will show any taxes do or any liens on the boat. If he has a title then you should be fine. Here in Ga we are a non-titling state.

Living in Kentucky, I used to rent a small horse trailer from U-Haul from time to time. But no more.

Thanks ya'll!

If he's willing to drop the price drastically, or leave the motor out of the deal and adjust the price accordingly, I might just consider taking it on as a project. But you know how people are; they have a price in their head regardless of what the actual value of their item may be. Heck, I sell a bunch of junk too, I'm probably guilty of the same thing. :roll:

Next time I drive by it, if it's still there, I'll snap a few pictures to post and see what ya'll might think about what it's worth. I'd like a bigger craft, but don't need another boat to spend money on when mine isn't where I want it yet.

One question though, if buying my first boat made be a defacto Captain, does expanding my fleet make me an Admiral? :wink:

(No offense to the Navy guys, I'm just happy I finally have my own craft).

I think the correct rank would be Commodore or perhaps you would hold the title of Squadron Leader.

Mine is 'Herder of Cats'

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
I think the correct rank would be Commodore or perhaps you would hold the title of Squadron Leader.

Mine is 'Herder of Cats'

Ok, so I ended up doing some late night, completely wasteful of time, "Wiki-research":

According to current US Naval Ranking we have the following (in ascending order):

Captain
Rear Admiral (Lower Half)
Rear Admiral (Upper Half)
Vice Admiral
Admiral
Fleet Admiral

By definition and convention, ownership, command rather, of multiple crafts would dictate that I would be fall under the context of the most-junior of the admiralty ranks; that being Rear Admiral (Lower Half) :shock:.

Commodore, on the other hand, was a rank discontinued by the US Navy in 1899, however, was defined as "a temporary rank bestowed upon Captains who commanded squadrons of more than one vessel". Generally speaking, it was a senior Captain position.

That said, if my choices are Rear Admiral (Lower Half) or Commodore, with no disrespect intended, I'm going to choose Commodore for obvious reasons of context boasting to my friends.

Also, a note on squadrons vs. flotillas: Squadrons consist of a formation of large ships, and flotillas being a formation of small ships. Something tells me that my 12' tin would fall into the latter category.

That said, if my choice was Commodore vs. Flotilla Leader, again I would have to go with Commodore.

Sorry ya'll, it's late, insomnia has set in, and TB makes the early morning hours fun! :roll:

That's why I said Commodore, a cerimonial title given to a fighting captain in charge of a squadron (floatilla) of boats, usually temporary.

No one want's to be an Admiral, all they do is sit at desks or wander around getting in the way at sea.

Jamie

Latest posts